Social Security Reforms in Northern Cyprus: Are they Fiscally Balanced and Socially Equitable?
This paper contains a quantitative assessment of the social security pension reforms in Northern Cyprus (TRNC) that were introduced in 2008 and later refined in 2012. A set of estimations are carried out to determine if the reforms were adequate enough to make the system self-financing. The key question is whether now the contributions over a participants working life would be sufficient to finance the pension promises through retirement. It is found that although significant improvements were made, the new system is neither fiscally neutral nor socially equitable. It delivers a higher budgetary subsidy to high income participants relative to the subsidy received by those with lower incomes. Recommendations are made for the policy changes to correct these defects.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6|
Phone: (613) 533-2250
Fax: (613) 533-6668
Web page: http://www.econ.queensu.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey R. Brown & Robert L. Clark, 2011.
"The Economics of State and Local Pensions,"
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number brow11-1, Enero.
- Monika Queisser & Edward R. Whitehouse, 2006. "Neutral or Fair?: Actuarial Concepts and Pension-System Design," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 40, OECD Publishing.
- Hasan U. Altiok & Glenn Jenkins, 2012.
"Social Security Generosity, Budgetary Deficits and Reforms in North Cyprus,"
Development Discussion Papers
2012-01, JDI Executive Programs.
- Hasan U. Altiok & Glenn P. Jenkins, 2013. "Social security generosity, budgetary deficits and reforms in North Cyprus," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 218-235, June.
- Glenn P. Jenkins & Hasan U. Altiok, 2013.
"The Fiscal Burden of the Legacy of the Civil Service Pension Systems in Northern Cyprus,"
Development Discussion Papers
2013-06, JDI Executive Programs.
- Altiok, Hasan U. & Jenkins, Glenn P., 2013. "The fiscal burden of the legacy of the civil service pension systems in northern Cyprus," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(01), pages 92-110, January.
- Hasan U. Altiok & Glenn P. Jenkins, 2011. "The Fiscal Burden of the Legacy of the Civil Service Pension Systems in Northern Cyprus," Working Papers 1284, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Jeffrey R. Brown & Robert Clark & Joshua Rauh, 2011. "The Economics of State and Local Public Pensions," NBER Working Papers 16792, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mustafa Besim & Glenn Jenkins, 2005. "Tax compliance: when do employees behave like the self-employed?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(10), pages 1201-1208.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qed:dpaper:215. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bahman Kashi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.