Determinants of drug launch delay in pre-TRIPS India: A survival analysis approach
The dynamics of drug launch has been an under-researched area. Most of the studies in this field focus on developed countries, quite uniform in terms of disease profile and regulatory framework, and analyse whether stringency in regulation influences launch delay. Developing countries, in contrast, have diverse disease profiles and weaker forms of regulation. A limited set of studies, undertaken in recent years, on the diffusion of new drugs in developing countries indeed conjectures importance of such factors in shaping drug launch dynamics. We investigate the delay of new drug launch in India for drugs launched in the German market during 1990-2004, when, due to weak IPR, not only the innovators but also the domestic firms could launch new drug molecules in the country, making drug launch dynamics interesting to explore. The paper finds that global commercial success of a new drug, market share, first mover advantage, and the threat of imposition of strong IPR system shortens delay. Innovativeness of a new drug, surprisingly, does not have much significant impact on delay.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.uni-marburg.de/fb19/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhaduri, Saradindu & Ray, Amit Shovon, 2006. "A game theoretic model of drug launch in India," Health Economics, Policy and Law, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 23-39, January.
- Gorecki, Paul K., 1986. "The importance of being first : The case of prescription drugs in Canada," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 371-395, December.
- Grabowski, Henry G & Vernon, John M, 1992. "Brand Loyalty, Entry, and Price Competition in Pharmaceuticals after the 1984 Drug Act," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(2), pages 331-50, October.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Y. Richard Wang & Liang Wang, 2005.
"The impact of price regulation on the launch delay of new drugs-evidence from twenty-five major markets in the 1990s,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 269-292.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Y. Richard Wang & Liang Wang, 2003. "The Impact of Price Regulation on the Launch Delay of New Drugs - Evidence from Twenty-Five Major Markets in the 1990s," NBER Working Papers 9874, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aidan Hollis, 2002. "The importance of being first: evidence from Canadian generic pharmaceuticals," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(8), pages 723-734.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pum:wpaper:2011-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christoph Mengs)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.