Assessing Sustainable Development by Genuine Saving Indicator from Multidimensional Perspectives
This paper investigates the path of genuine saving (GS) based on the perspectives of average, trend and stability. The theoretical basis of GS can be seen in several studies, such as Arrow et al. (2003) and Dasgupta (2004); its database has been developed by the World Bank. With these contributions, GS is now considered as one of the most important indicators for evaluating the sustainable development. However, among previous studies on GS, only few studies focused on dynamic perspective. This paper points out this shortage in the literature, and then re-examines the sustainability performance in various countries based not only on the average, but also on the trend and stability of GS path. The results of evaluating GS based on these multidimensional perspectives are different from those of unidimensional perspective. These results provide us richer information on the sustainability of each country.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamilton, Kirk & Clemens, Michael, 1999. "Genuine Savings Rates in Developing Countries," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 333-56, May.
- Kenneth Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Lawrence Goulder & Gretchen Daily & Paul Ehrlich & Geoffrey Heal & Simon Levin & Karl-Göran Mäler & Stephen Schneider & David Starrett & Brian Walker, 2004. "Are We Consuming Too Much?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 147-172, Summer.
- Dasgupta, Partha, 2004. "Human Well-Being and the Natural Environment," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199267194, June.
- Kenneth Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Göran Mäler, 2003.
"Evaluating Projects and Assessing Sustainable Development in Imperfect Economies,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(4), pages 647-685, December.
- Kenneth Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Göran Mäler, 2003. "Evaluating Projects and Assessing Sustainable Development in Imperfect Economies," Working Papers 2003.109, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Simon Dietz & Eric Neumayer & Indra de Soysa, 2004.
"Corruption, the Resource Curse and Genuine Saving,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Simon Dietz & Eric Neumayer & Indra de Soysa, 2007. "Corruption, the resource curse and genuine saving," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 973, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Simon Dietz & Eric Neumayer & Indra de Soysa, 2004. "Corruption, the Resource Curse and Genuine Saving," Development and Comp Systems 0405010, EconWPA, revised 21 Jan 2005.
- World Bank, 2007. "World Development Indicators 2007," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 8150, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:9996. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.