Show me the code: Spatial analysis and open source
This paper considers the intersection of academic spatial analysis with the open source revolution. Its basic premise is that the potential for cross-fertilization between the two is rich, yet some misperceptions about these two communities pose challenges to realizing these opportunities. The paper provides a primer on the open source movement for academicians with an eye towards correcting these misperceptions. It identifies a number of ways in which increased adoption of open source practices in spatial analysis can enhance the development of the next generation of tools and the wider practice of scientific research and education.
|Date of creation:||21 Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Ruth & K. Donaghy & P. Kirshen, 2006. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Regional Climate Change and Variability, chapter 1 Edward Elgar.
- Anselin, Luc & Getis, Arthur, 1992. "Spatial Statistical Analysis and Geographic Information Systems," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 19-33, April.
- Luc Anselin & Yong Wook Kim & Ibnu Syabri, 2004. "Web-based analytical tools for the exploration of spatial data," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 197-218, 06.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Rey, Sergio J. & Anselin, Luc, 2007. "PySAL: A Python Library of Spatial Analytical Methods," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 37(1), pages 5-27.
- Ault, David E & Rutman, Gilbert L & Stevenson, Thomas, 1979. "Mobility in the Labor Market for Academic Economists," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 148-53, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:9260. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.