On Privatisation and Restructuring
This essay deals with the issues of privatisation and restructuring in transition economies. The topics are addressed in both a descriptive and empirical manner. The centre of the analysis is the interrelation of privatisation, the resulting ownership form and the expected and actual effect on restructuring behaviour of firms. The essay identifies a slow progress in privatisation, paired with an overweight of insider owners. Furthermore substantial evidence on slow restructuring is collected. Overmanning and excessive social assets prevail in the privatised firms - in part regardless of the new ownership structure. Finally, the link to the government’s fiscal situation is drawn, the costs of restructuring to the government budget are identified. In presenting such account of the privatisation and restructuring situation, the essay provides a basis for formal explanations of slow privatisation and sluggish restructuring.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Freinkman, Lev M. & Starodubrovskaya, Irina, 1996.
"Restructuring of enterprise social assets in Russia : trends, problems, possible solutions,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1635, The World Bank.
- L.M. Freinkman & I. Starodubrovskaya, 1996. "Restructuring of Enterprise Social Assets in Russia: Trends, Problems, Possible Solutions," Working Papers wp96052, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner & Weichenrieder, Alfons J., 1997.
"Foreign direct investment, political resentment and the privatization process in eastern Europe,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19562, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Alfons J. Weichenrieder, 1997. "Foreign direct investment, political resentment and the privatization process in eastern Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 177-210, 04.
- Mayhew, Ken & Seabright, Paul, 1992. "Incentives and the Management of Enterprises in Economic Transition: Capital Markets Are Not Enough," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(1), pages 105-29, Spring.
- Simeon Djankov & Gerhard Pohl, 1998. "The restructuring of large firms in the Slovak Republic," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 6(1), pages 67-85, 05.
- M Belka & S Estrin & M Schaffer & I.J. Singh, 1995. "Enterprise Adjustment in Poland: Evidence from a Survey of 200 Private," CEP Discussion Papers dp0233, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Wendy Carlin & John Van Reenen & Toby Wolfe, 1995. "Enterprise restructuring in early transition: the case study evidence from Central and Eastern Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 3(4), pages 427-458, December.
- J Earle & S Estrin & L Leshchenko, 1996. "Ownership Structures," CEP Discussion Papers dp0315, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1994. "Politicians and Firms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 995-1025, November.
- Vito Tanzi, 1993. "The Budget Deficit in Transition: A Cautionary Note," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(3), pages 697-707, September.
- Simeon Djankov & Gerhard Pohl, 1997. "Restructuring of Large Firms in Slovakia," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 73, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Wendy Carlin & Philippe Aghion, 1996. "Restructuring outcomes and the evolution of ownership patterns in Central and Eastern Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 4(2), pages 371-388, October.
- Simon Commander & Mark Schankerman, 1997. "Enterprise restructuring and social benefits," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 5(1), pages 1-24, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:89. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.