Do Foreign Direct Investments Increase the Economic Growth of Southeastern European Transition Economies?
There are two important effects of foreign direct investments (FDI) on a host economy: the effect on economic growth and the effect on export performances. Both economic features are important for the transition economies' prospects of European Union (EU) accession. After a short review of relevant research, this paper examines the statistical relationship between FDI inflow and economic growth. Results do not reveal any positive correlation between these two variables. Lack of correlation between FDI inflows and economic development is rather the consequence of methodological imperfections, than the real absence of positive influences of FDI. The problem arises from the fact that the observed countries are in the transition process. Due to structural reforms, there is production and employment decrease in inefficient domestic firms. This can neutralize or even outweigh the positive effect of FDI on economic growth of host sectors.
|Date of creation:||15 May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in South-Eastern Europe Journal of Economics 1.6(2008): pp. 29-38|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard M, 2000.
"Foreign Investment and Productivity Growth in Czech Enterprises,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 49-64, January.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1999. "Foreign investment and productivity growth in Czech enterprises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2115, The World Bank.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Campos, Nauro F & Kinoshita, Yuko, 2002.
"Foreign Direct Investment as Technology Transferred: Some Panel Evidence from the Transition Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3417, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Campos, Nauro F & Kinoshita, Yuko, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment as Technology Transferred: Some Panel Evidence from the Transition Economies," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(3), pages 398-419, June.
- Nauro F. Campos & Yuko Kinoshita, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment as Technology Transferred: Some Panel Evidence from the Transition Economies," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 438, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Stèphane Dees, 1998.
"Foreign Direct Investment in China: Determinants and Effects,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 175-194, May.
- Dees, Stephane, 1998. " Foreign Direct Investment in China: Determinants and Effects," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 31(2-3), pages 175-94.
- Aturupane, Chonira & Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1997.
"Determinants of intra-industry trade between East and West Europe,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1850, The World Bank.
- Aturupane, Chonira & Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1997. "Determinants of Intra-Industry Trade between East and West Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1721, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- L.R. de Mello Jr., 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment, International Knowledge Transfers, and Endogenous Growth: Time Series Evidence," Studies in Economics 9610, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Robert E. Lipsey & Mario Zejan, 1992. "What Explains Developing Country Growth?," NBER Working Papers 4132, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:8875. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.