Economies of scale in banking, indeterminacy, and monetary policy
This paper investigates economies of scale (ES) in financial intermediation as a source of equilibrium indeterminacy. Consumption in the model can be purchased with currency and deposits, and ES in intermediation implies that deposit costs are decreasing in aggregate deposits. The results suggest that indeterminacy does not depend on a large degree of ES nor a large intermediation sector, but on monetary policy and the determination of nominal interest rates. Monetary policies not targeting nominal rates allow for indeterminacy to arise for any degree of ES, while policies targeting nominal rates eliminates indeterminacy for all degrees of ES.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen D. Williamson, 1986. "Increasing Returns to Scale in Financial Intermediation and the Non-Neutrality of Government Policy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(5), pages 863-875.
- Taylor, John B., 1993. "Discretion versus policy rules in practice," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 195-214, December.
- Jess Benhabib & Roger E.A. Farmer, 1992.
"Indeterminacy and Increasing Returns,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
646, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Benhabib, J. & Farmer, R.E.A, 1991. "Indeterminacy and Increasing Returns," Papers 165, Cambridge - Risk, Information & Quantity Signals.
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1991. "Indeterminacy and Increasing Returns," Working Papers 91-59, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- J. Christina Wang, 2003. "Productivity and economies of scale in the production of bank service value added," Working Papers 03-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Bryant, John, 1987. "The Paradox of Thrift, Liquidity Preference and Animal Spirits," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1231-35, September.
- Joseph P. Hughes & Loretta J. Mester, 1998.
"Bank Capitalization And Cost: Evidence Of Scale Economies In Risk Management And Signaling,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 80(2), pages 314-325, May.
- Joseph P. Hughes & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Bank capitalization and cost: evidence of scale economies in risk management and signaling," Working Papers 96-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Joseph P. Hughes, 1997. "Bank Capitalization and Cost: Evidence of Scale Economies in Risk Management and Signaling," Departmental Working Papers 199601, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Jason Allen & Ying Liu, 2007.
"Efficiency and economies of scale of large Canadian banks,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 40(1), pages 225-244, February.
- Jason Allen & Ying Liu, 2005. "Efficiency and Economies of Scale of Large Canadian Banks," Staff Working Papers 05-13, Bank of Canada.
- Cooper, Russell & Corbae, Dean, 2002. "Financial Collapse: A Lesson from the Great Depression," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 159-190, December.
- Charles T. Carlstrom & Timothy S. Fuerst, 2001.
"Real Indeterminacy in Monetary Models with Nominal Interest Rate Distortions,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 4(4), pages 767-789, October.
- Charles T. Carlstrom & Timothy S. Fuerst, 2001. "Real indeterminacy in monetary models with nominal interest rate distortions: the problem with inflation targets," Working Paper 9818R, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Olivier Blanchard & John Simon, 2001. "The Long and Large Decline in U.S. Output Volatility," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 32(1), pages 135-174.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:8370. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.