Social Cohesion, Institutions and Public Policies: New Evidence from the MENA region
This paper documents the effects of social cohesion and institutions on public policies in the MENA region using the three-stage least squares (3SLS) method for panel data to deal with the problems of simultaneity and correlation of errors. Our main findings show that the impact of social cohesion on public policies is strengthened only at high qualities of institutions. In other words, there is a threshold effect of institutions beyond which social cohesion has a positive impact on public policies.
|Date of creation:||2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-1288.
- Alesina, Alberto & Perotti, Roberto, 1996.
"Income distribution, political instability, and investment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1203-1228, June.
- Alberto Alesina & Roberto Perotti, 1993. "Income Distribution, Political Instability, and Investment," NBER Working Papers 4486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Alesina & Stelios Michalopoulos & Elias Papaioannou, 2016.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 124(2), pages 428-488.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Michalopoulos, Stelios & Papaioannou, Elias, 2012. "Ethnic Inequality," CEPR Discussion Papers 9225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto F. Alesina & Stelios Michalopoulos & Elias Papaioannou, 2012. "Ethnic Inequality," NBER Working Papers 18512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Alesina & Stelios Michalopoulos & Elias Papaioannou, 2012. "Ethnic Inequality," Working Papers 2012-14, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Alesina, Alberto Francesco & Michalopoulos, Stelios & Papaioannou, Ellias, 2016. "Ethnic Inequality," Scholarly Articles 27759620, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alesina, Alberto & Michalopoulos, Stelios & Papaioannou, Elias, 2013. "Ethnic Inequality," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 155, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Mina Baliamoune-Lutz & George Mavrotas, 2009.
"Aid Effectiveness: Looking at the Aid-Social Capital-Growth Nexus,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(s1), pages 510-525, August.
- Baliamoune-Lutz, Mina N. & Mavrotas, George, 2008. "Aid Effectiveness: Looking at the Aid-Social Capital-Growth Nexus," WIDER Working Paper Series 075, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Fernando Rajulton & Zenaida Ravanera & Roderic Beaujot, 2007. "Measuring Social Cohesion: An Experiment using the Canadian National Survey of Giving, Volunteering, and Participating," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 80(3), pages 461-492, February.
- Castellacci, Fulvio & Natera, Jose Miguel, 2011.
"A new panel dataset for cross-country analyses of national systems, growth and development (CANA),"
28376, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fulvio Castellacci & José Miguel Natera, 2011. "A new panel dataset for cross-country analyses of national systems, growth and development (CANA)," Working Papers del Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales 1105, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales.
- Perotti, Roberto & Alesina, Alberto, 1996. "Income Distribution, Political Instability, and Investment," Scholarly Articles 4553018, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Joseph Chan & Ho-Pong To & Elaine Chan, 2006. "Reconsidering Social Cohesion: Developing a Definition and Analytical Framework for Empirical Research," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 75(2), pages 273-302, January.
- John Humphrey & Hubert Schmitz, 1998. "Trust and inter-firm relations in developing and transition economies," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(4), pages 32-61.
- Dang,Hai-Anh H. & Ianchovichina,Elena, 2016. "Welfare dynamics with synthetic panels : the case of the Arab world in transition," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7595, The World Bank.
- repec:mes:jeciss:v:30:y:1996:i:4:p:1212-1216 is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:80950. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.