Transformations and Seasonal Adjustment: Analytic Solutions and Case Studies
We address the problem of seasonal adjustment of a nonlinear transformation of the original time series, such as the Box-Cox transformation of a time series measured on a ratio scale, or the Aranda-Ordaz transformation of proportions, which aims at enforcing two essential features: additivity and orthogonality of the components. The posterior mean and variance of the seasonally adjusted series admit an analytic finite representation only for particular values of the transformation parameter, e.g. for a fractional Box-Cox transformation parameter. Even if available, the analytical derivation can be tedious and difficult. As an alternative we propose to compute the two conditional moments of the seasonally adjusted series by means of numerical and Monte Carlo integration. The former is both fast and reliable in univariate applications. The latter uses the algorithm known as the simulation smoother and it is most useful in multivariate applications. We present several case studies dealing with robust seasonal adjustment under the square root and the fourth root transformation, the seasonal adjustment of the ratio of two series, and the adjustment of time series of proportions. Our overall conclusion is that robust seasonal adjustment under transformations can be carried out routinely and that the possibility of transforming the scale ought to be considered as a further option for improving the quality of seasonal adjustment.
|Date of creation:||03 Dec 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- [Reference to Proietti], Tommaso, 2000. "Comparing seasonal components for structural time series models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 247-260.
- Findley, David F, et al, 1998. "New Capabilities and Methods of the X-12-ARIMA Seasonal-Adjustment Program," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(2), pages 127-152, April.
- Riani Marco, 2004. "Extensions of the Forward Search to Time Series," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 8(2), pages 1-25, May.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Neil Shephard & Jurgen A. Doornik, 1999.
"Statistical algorithms for models in state space using SsfPack 2.2,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(1), pages 107-160.
- Koopman, S.J.M. & Shephard, N. & Doornik, J.A., 1998. "Statistical Algorithms for Models in State Space Using SsfPack 2.2," Discussion Paper 1998-141, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Victor Gómez & Agustín Maravall, 1996. "Programs TRAMO and SEATS, Instruction for User (Beta Version: september 1996)," Working Papers 9628, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Bell, William R & Hillmer, Steven C, 1984. "Issues Involved with the Seasonal Adjustment of Economic Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 291-320, October.
- Harvey, Andrew & Proietti, Tommaso (ed.), 2005. "Readings in Unobserved Components Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199278695. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)