Do Poverty Reduction Strategies Help Achieve The Millennium Development Goals?
This paper examines the partnership in development policies between the World Bank/IMF and the United Nations. Poverty Reduction Strategy Papers (PRSPs) are instruments used by the Washington institutions to achieve the Millenium Development Goals (MDG) initiated by the UN. We review and interpret the genesis and development of MDGs and PRSPs in this perspective, and examine their institutional connections. The analytical aim of the paper is to conduct the first investigation in the literature of the impact of PRSP features on progress in achieving the MDGs. We introduce a unique dataset of PRSP indicators and match these to MDG data on MDG indicators. We find robust effects of PRSP features on the youth literacy, women’s employment and child mortality indicators. The quantitative evidence suggests that PRSPs appear to become more effective over time, and that more focused PRSPs, more participatory PRSP formulation, and better proposed policy actions may enhance their effectiveness in achieving MDGs. We discuss these findings in the context of other PRSP assessments in the literature and propose future research avenues
|Date of creation:||Jan 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Booth, 2003. "Introduction and Overview," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21(2), pages 131-159, 03.
- Geske Dijkstra, 2005. "The PRSP Approach and the Illusion of Improved Aid Effectiveness: Lessons from Bolivia, Honduras and Nicaragua," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 23(4), pages 443-464, 07.
- Marianne Fay & Danny Leipziger & Quentin Wodon & Tito Yepes, 2003. "Achieving the Millennium Development Goals : The role of infrastructure," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3163, The World Bank.
- James, M.J., 2006. "Misguided investments in meeting millennium development goals : A reconsideration using ends-based targets," Other publications TiSEM 87f3c659-57da-4611-a6d3-6, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Swallow, Brent, 2005. "Potential for Poverty Reduction Strategies to Address Community Priorities: Case Study of Kenya," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 301-321, February.
- Bichaka Fayissa, 2001. "The determinants of infant and child mortality in developing countries: The case of Sub-Sahara Africa," The Review of Black Political Economy, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 83-98, December.
- Michael Clemens & Charles Kenny & Todd Moss, 2004.
"The Trouble with the MDGs: Confronting Expectations of Aid and Development Success,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Clemens, Michael A. & Kenny, Charles J. & Moss, Todd J., 2007. "The Trouble with the MDGs: Confronting Expectations of Aid and Development Success," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 735-751, May.
- Michael A. Clemens & Charles J. Kenny & Todd J. Moss, 2004. "The Trouble with the MDGs: Confronting Expectations of Aid and Development Success," Working Papers 40, Center for Global Development.
- Gauri, Varun & Khaleghian, Peyvand, 2002.
"Immunization in Developing Countries: Its Political and Organizational Determinants,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 2109-2132, December.
- Gauri, Varun & Khaleghian, Peyvand, 2002. "Immunization in developing countries : its political and organizational determinants," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2769, The World Bank.
- Dostie, Benoit & Jayaraman, Rajshri, 2006. "Determinants of School Enrollment in Indian Villages," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(2), pages 405-21, January.
- John Roberts, 2005. "Millennium development goals: are international targets now more credible?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(1), pages 113-129.
- Alderman, Harold & King, Elizabeth M., 1998. "Gender differences in parental investment in education," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 453-468, December.
- Verner, Dorte, 2005. "What factors influence world literacy? is Africa different?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3496, The World Bank.
- Lucia Hanmer & Robert Lensink & Howard White, 2003. "Infant and child mortality in developing countries: Analysing the data for Robust determinants," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(1), pages 101-118.
- C. Henry, 2005. "The end of poverty: How we can make it happen in our lifetime," The Review of Black Political Economy, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 61-68, December.
- Craig, David & Porter, Doug, 2003. "Poverty Reduction Strategy Papers: A New Convergence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 53-69, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:7030. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.