Determinants of Corporate Investment: Post Liberalization Panel Data Evidence from Indian Firms
The paper models alternative investment-accelerator relationships within the neoclassical theory of Jorgenson followed by firm level panel data estimation and empirical test for other determinants of corporate investment e.g., internal liquidity, profitability, and firms’ financial strength. Athey and Laumas (1994) claimed that internal liquidity had replaced market demand in Indian firm level investment. Others indicate presence of finance constraints in Indian private sector investment activities; Kumar et al. (2001, 2002). Therefore, in the immediate aftermath of liberalization whether market demand had still not been important when availability of internal liquidity, firms’ profitability and creditworthiness are considered. We consider Indian manufacturing firms in the post-reform period of 1990s. There is significant support for the investment–accelerator relationship. Internal liquidity is relatively more important than profitability when it comes to firms’ investment decisions. There is also evidence that credit worthiness of firms to outside creditors is important for firm investment decision.
|Date of creation:||11 Jan 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Ganesh-Kumar & K. Sen & R. Vaidya, 2001. "Outward Orientation, Investment and Finance Constraints: A Study of Indian Firms," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(4), pages 133-149.
- R. Glenn Hubbard, 1997.
"Capital-Market Imperfections and Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
5996, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tybout, James R, 1983. "Credit Rationing and Investment Behavior in a Developing Country," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(4), pages 598-607, November.
- Kadapakkam, Palani-Rajan & Kumar, P. C. & Riddick, Leigh A., 1998. "The impact of cash flows and firm size on investment: The international evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 293-320, March.
- Bilsborrow, Richard E, 1977. "The Determinants of Fixed Investment by Manufacturing Firms in a Developing Country," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(3), pages 697-717, October.
- Steven Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1987.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Bond & Julie Ann Elston & Jacques Mairesse & Benoît Mulkay, 1999.
"Financial Factors and Investment in Belgium, France, Germany and the UK : A Comparison using Company Panel Data,"
99-64, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Steve Bond & Julie Elston & Jacques Mairesse & Benoit Mulkay, 1997. "Financial factors and investment in Belgium, France, German and the UK: A comparison using company panel data," IFS Working Papers W97/08, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Stephen Bond & Julie Elston & Jacques Mairesse & Benoit Mulkay, 1997. "Financial Factors and Investment in Belgium, France, Germany and the UK:A Comparison Using Company Panel Data," NBER Working Papers 5900, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz & Andrew Weiss, 1984.
"Informational Imperfections in the Capital Market and Macro-Economic Fluctuations,"
NBER Working Papers
1335, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greenwald, Bruce & Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1984. "Informational Imperfections in the Capital Market and Macroeconomic Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(2), pages 194-99, May.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Jorgenson, Dale W, 1971. "Econometric Studies of Investment Behavior: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 1111-47, December.
- Athey, Michael J. & Laumas, Prem S., 1994. "Internal funds and corporate investment in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 287-303, December.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- A. Ganesh-Kumar & Kunal Sen & Rajendra R. Vaidya, 2002. "Does the source of financing matter? Financial markets, financial intermediaries and investment in India," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(2), pages 211-228.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:6702. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.