The Effects of Business Assistance Programs on Employment Growth in Maine Establishments
The purpose of this research project is to provide information to the Maine Economic Development Incentive Commission (EDIC) to assist in its evaluation of Maine’s economic development incentive programs. As a statistical-based study, the analysis focuses primarily on the relationship between short-term employment change in Maine establishments from 1998 to 1999 and their participation in incentive programs. The programs highlighted in the study are the Business Equipment Property Tax Reimbursement Program (BETR), the Governor’s Training Initiative (GTI), Maine Quality Centers (MQC) and the municipal Tax Increment Financing (TIF) program.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bartik, Timothy J, 1985. "Business Location Decisions in the United States: Estimates of the Effects of Unionization, Taxes, and Other Characteristics of States," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(1), pages 14-22, January.
- Anderson, John E. & Wassmer, Robert W., 1995. "The decision to 'bid for business': Municipal behavior in granting property tax abatements," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 739-757, December.
- Darin Wohlgemuth & Maureen Kilkenny, 1998.
"Firm Relocation Threats and Copy Cat Costs,"
International Regional Science Review,
, vol. 21(2), pages 139-162, August.
- Darin Wohlgemuth & Maureen Kilkenny, 1996. "Firm Relocation Threats and Copy Cat Costs," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 95-wp142, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Wohlgemuth, Darin & Kilkenny, Maureen, 1998. "Firm Relocation Threats and Copy Cat Costs," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1202, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Darin Wohlgemuth & Maureen Kilkenny, 1996. "Firm Relocation Threats and Copy Cat Costs," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 95-wp142, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Evans, David S, 1987. "The Relationship between Firm Growth, Size, and Age: Estimates for 100 Manufacturing Industries," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 567-581, June.
- Evans, David S., 1986. "The Relationship Between Firm Growth, Size, and Age: Estimates for 100 Manufacturing Industries," Working Papers 86-33, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Michael J. Wolkoff, 1990. "New Directions in the Analysis of Economic Development Policy," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 4(4), pages 334-344, November.
- Evans, David S, 1987. "Tests of Alternative Theories of Firm Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(4), pages 657-674, August.
- Evans, David S., 1986. "Tests of Alternative Theories of Firm Growth," Working Papers 86-36, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Alan H. Peters, 1993. "Clawbacks and the Administration of Economic Development Policy in the Midwest," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 7(4), pages 328-340, November.
- Rinehart, James R & Laird, William E, 1972. "Community Inducements to Industry and the Zero-Sum Game," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 19(1), pages 73-90, February.
- Oechssler, Jorg, 1994. "The city vs. firm subsidy game," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 391-407, June.
- de Bartolome, Charles A. M. & Spiegel, Mark M., 1997. "Does State Economic Development Spending Increase Manufacturing Employment?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 153-175, March.
- Charles A. M. de Bartolome & Mark M. Spiegel, 1995. "Does state economic development spending increase manufacturing employment?," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 95-10, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Carlton, Dennis W, 1983. "The Location and Employment Choices of New Firms: An Econometric Model with Discrete and Continuous Endogenous Variables," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 440-449, August.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-670, May.
- Bond, Eric W & Samuelson, Larry, 1986. "Tax Holidays as Signals," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 820-826, September.
- Pakes, Ariel & Ericson, Richard, 1998. "Empirical Implications of Alternative Models of Firm Dynamics," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 1-45, March.
- Ariel Pakes & Richard Ericson, 1989. "Empirical Implications of Alternative Models of Firm Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 2893, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pakes, A. & Ericson, R., 1990. "Empirical Implications Of Alternative Models Of Firm Dynamics," Papers 594, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Greenberg, Elizabeth & Reeder, Richard J., 1998. "Who Benefits from Business Assistance Programs? Results of the ERS Rural Manufacturing Survey," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33727, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Newman, Robert J. & Sullivan, Dennis H., 1988. "Econometric analysis of business tax impacts on industrial location: What do we know, and how do we know it?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 215-234, March.
- Stephen Hymer & Peter Pashigian, 1962. "Firm Size and Rate of Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 556-556.
- Hall, Bronwyn H, 1987. "The Relationship between Firm Size and Firm Growth in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 583-606, June.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, 1986. "The Relationship Between Firm Size and Firm Growth in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector," NBER Working Papers 1965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:65983. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.