Designing a Financial Stability Architecture for a Regionally Integrated Financial Space: The European Experience
Any discussion on improving the existing arrangements for assessing and managing financial risks and in particular supervising the relevant institutions will also need to address the question on which institution should be responsible for which task and for which sector of the financial system, how these institutions should be organized and, if there are several, how they should interact with each other. Based on the example of the European Union, this paper shows the gradual change from a rather loose rather idealistic cooperative framework among entirely independ-ent institutions, over the right to contribute to the functioning of policies set by others, on to the Single Supervisory Mechanism, a centralized structure in which – at least for the banking sector - the ECB takes on a rather powerful role of policy making, oversight and enforcement. (The paper was presented at the conference, “Financial Stability, Interconnectedness, and risk assessment in the Caribbean”, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, 19-20 March 2015.)
|Date of creation:||Mar 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heinrich, Gregor, 2007. "Central banking in a regional economic setting: Possible contributions to integration," MPRA Paper 47416, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Masahiro Kawai & Peter J. Morgan, 2014.
"Regional financial regulation in Asia,"
Chapters,in: New Global Economic Architecture, chapter 6, pages 112-147
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Masahiro Kawai & Peter J. Morgan, 2014. "Regional Financial Regulation in Asia," Governance Working Papers 23971, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Kawai, Masahiro & Morgan, Peter J., 2014. "Regional Financial Regulation in Asia," ADBI Working Papers 460, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Masahiro Kawai & Peter J. Morgan, 2014. "Regional Financial Regulation in Asia," Finance Working Papers 23971, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Masahiro Kawai & Peter J. Morgan, 2014. "Regional Financial Regulation in Asia," Macroeconomics Working Papers 23971, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Piet Clement, 2010. "The term “macroprudential”: origins and evolution," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Dirk Schoenmaker & Charles Goodhart, 2006. "Burden Sharing in a Banking Crisis in Europe," FMG Special Papers sp164, Financial Markets Group.
- Sumiko Ogawa & Joonkyu Park & Diva Singh & Nita Thacker, 2013. "Financial Interconnectedness and Financial Sector Reforms in the Caribbean," IMF Working Papers 13/175, International Monetary Fund. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:63225. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.