Multiplier product matrix analysis for interregional input-output systems: an application to the Brazilian economy
In this paper, using a set of interregional input-output tables built by the authors for the year of 1992 for 2 Brazilian regions (Northeast and rest of the economy), attention is focused on a new approach to the interpretation of Miyazawa’s concepts of left and right multipliers in the decomposition of interregional input-output systems. Using the technique of the multiplier product matrix (Sonis et al., 1997) and Sonis and Hewings (1999), the hierarchical decomposition proposed exploits the insights offered by the fields of influence theory and provides a way of interpreting Miyazawa’s left and right multipliers in terms of interregional feedback loops. When this technique is applied to an interregional system for 2 Brazilian regions (Northeast and the Rest of Brazil) the results shows that: (a) the Rest of Brazil region seems to be more developed and has a more complex productive structure than the Northeast region; (b) the inputs that the Northeast region buys from the Rest of Brazil region practically make no contribution to the total linkages in either of the regions; and (c) when isolated from the whole economy system, there is little contribution from the Northeast region to the linkages of the Rest of Brazil region, and vice-versa. Extension of this work could be considered in two directions, namely, providing sectoral detail and extending this approach to the n region case.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sonis, Michael & Hewings, Geoffrey,J.D., 1999. "Economic Landscapes: Multiplier Product Matrix Analysis for Multiregional Input-outoput Systems," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 40(1), pages 59-74, June.
- Sonis, Michael & Hewings, Geoffrey J.D., 1993. "Hierarchies of Regional Sub-Structures and Their Multipliers within Input-output Systems Miyazawa Revisited," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 34(1), pages 33-44, June.
- Miyazawa, Kenichi, 1971. "An Analysis of the Interdependence between Service and Goods-Producing Sectors," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 12(1), pages 10-21, June.
- Miyazawa, Kenichi, 1966. "Internal and External Matrix Multipliers in the Input-Output Model," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 7(1), pages 38-55, June.
- Eduardo Haddad & Michael Sonis & Geoffrey J. D. Hewings, 1996. "A typology of propagation of changes on the structure of a multiregional economic system: the case of the European Union, 1975-1985," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 391-408.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:54671. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.