Fundamentos para el análisis económico del tabaquismo: la utilidad marginal y los umbrales de asimilación
[Fundamentals for the economic analysis of smoking: the marginal utility and the assimilation thresholds]
Current regulation of smoking in Spain (Law 28 /2005) defines and reallocates environmental property rights in favour of nonsmokers. From this point of view, it is important to analyze the social desirability of maximizing the utility of a category of individuals knowing that this requires the exclusion of the other category. In our analysis we consider that the ability of individuals to tolerate tobacco smoke in the environment not only depends on marginal utility (or disutility) but also on consumption thresholds about what they are willing to tolerate or perform. We find a bang bang solution switching between zero-pollution (exclusion of smokers) and maximum tobacco consumption (exclusion of nonsmokers).The paper also shows why, in the presence of compulsive smokers, the prohibition of tobacco consumption may be economically rational.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary S. Becker & Kevin M. Murphy, 1986.
"A Theory of Rational Addiction,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
41, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988.
"The Theory of Environmental Policy,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521311120.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Oates, Wallace E, 1992. "Environmental Economics: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 675-740, June.
- Suranovic, Steven M. & Goldfarb, Robert S. & Leonard, Thomas C., 1999. "An economic theory of cigarette addiction," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Buchanan, James M & Yoon, Yong J, 2000. "Symmetric Tragedies: Commons and Anticommons," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(1), pages 1-13, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:51758. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.