Sign-based portmanteau test for ARCH-type models with heavy-tailed innovations
This paper proposes a sign-based portmanteau test for diagnostic checking of ARCH-type models estimated by the least absolute deviation approach. Under the strict stationarity condition, the asymptotic distribution is obtained. The new test is applicable for very heavy-tailed innovations with only finite fractional moments. Simulations are undertaken to assess the performance of the sign-based test, as well as a comparison with other two portmanteau tests. A real empirical example for exchange rates is given to illustrate the practical usefulness of the test.
|Date of creation:||08 Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hong, Yongmiao & Lee, Tae-Hwy, 2003. "Diagnostic Checking For The Adequacy Of Nonlinear Time Series Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(06), pages 1065-1121, December.
- Jianqing Fan & Lei Qi & Dacheng Xiu, 2014. "Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimation of GARCH Models With Heavy-Tailed Likelihoods," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(2), pages 178-191, April.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Linton, Oliver & Pan, Jiazhu & Wang, Hui, 2010. "Estimation For A Nonstationary Semi-Strong Garch(1,1) Model With Heavy-Tailed Errors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 1-28, February.
- Bougerol, Philippe & Picard, Nico, 1992. "Stationarity of Garch processes and of some nonnegative time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 115-127.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/10571 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christian Francq & Jean-Michel Zakoïan, 2013.
"Optimal predictions of powers of conditionally heteroscedastic processes,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 75(2), pages 345-367, 03.
- Christan Francq & Jean-Michel Zakoian, 2012. "Optimal Predictions of Powers of Conditionally Heteroskedastic Processes," Working Papers 2012-17, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Francq, Christian & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2010. "Optimal predictions of powers of conditionally heteroskedastic processes," MPRA Paper 22155, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Peter Hall & Qiwei Yao, 2003. "Inference in Arch and Garch Models with Heavy--Tailed Errors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 285-317, January.
- Ling, Shiqing, 2007. "Self-weighted and local quasi-maximum likelihood estimators for ARMA-GARCH/IGARCH models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 849-873, October.
- Peter Hall & Qiwei Yao, 2003. "Inference in ARCH and GARCH models with heavy-tailed errors," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 5875, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Liang Peng, 2003. "Least absolute deviations estimation for ARCH and GARCH models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 90(4), pages 967-975, December.
- Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2003.
"Asymptotic Theory For A Vector Arma-Garch Model,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(02), pages 280-310, April.
- Francq, Christian & Wintenberger, Olivier & Zakoïan, Jean-Michel, 2013.
"GARCH models without positivity constraints: Exponential or log GARCH?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 177(1), pages 34-46.
- Francq, Christian & Wintenberger, Olivier & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2012. "Garch models without positivity constraints: exponential or log garch?," MPRA Paper 41373, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Liang Peng & Qiwei Yao, 2003. "Least absolute deviations estimation for ARCH and GARCH models," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 5828, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Guodong Li & Wai Keung Li, 2008. "Least absolute deviation estimation for fractionally integrated autoregressive moving average time series models with conditional heteroscedasticity," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 95(2), pages 399-414.
- Guodong Li & Wai Keung Li, 2005. "Diagnostic checking for time series models with conditional heteroscedasticity estimated by the least absolute deviation approach," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(3), pages 691-701, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:50487. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.