Inequality, Trade and Development: Evidence from Developing Countries
This study analyzes the impact of trade on cross-country inequality using a panel data set from 65 developing counties over a long period 1970-2008. This study differs from the existing literature on distributional impact of trade by explicitly noting the importance of development stage in shaping the link. The analysis shows that the effect of trade on inequality depends upon the level of development of a trade integrating economy. Economies that have a high level of economic development acquire a favorable effect of trade while underdeveloped economies suffer from international economic integration. In sum, trade accentuates not ameliorate inequality in countries with low level of economic development.
|Date of creation:||02 Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daron Acemoglu, 2003.
"Patterns of Skill Premia,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 70(2), pages 199-230, 04.
- Yeaple, Stephen Ross, 2005. "A simple model of firm heterogeneity, international trade, and wages," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 1-20, January.
- David H. Autor & Lawrence F. Katz & Alan B. Krueger, 1997.
"Computing Inequality: Have Computers Changed the Labor Market?,"
NBER Working Papers
5956, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David H. Autor & Lawrence F. Katz & Alan B. Krueger, 1998. "Computing Inequality: Have Computers Changed The Labor Market?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(4), pages 1169-1213, November.
- David Autor & Lawrence Katz & Alan Krueger, 1997. "Computing Inequality: Have Computers Changed the Labor Market?," Working Papers 756, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Muhammad Tariq Majeed & Ronald MacDonald, 2011.
"Corruption and financial intermediation in a panel of regions: cross-border effects of corruption,"
2011_18, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Majeed, Muhammad Tariq & MacDonald, Ronald, 2011. "Corruption and Financial Intermediation in a Panel of Regions: Cross-Border Effects of Corruption," SIRE Discussion Papers 2011-67, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Majeed, Muhammad Tariq & MacDonald, Ronald, 2010.
"Corruption and the Military in Politics: Theory and Evidence from around the World,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2010-91, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Muhammad Tariq Majeed & Ronald MacDonald, 2010. "Corruption and the military in politics: theory and evidence from around the world," Working Papers 2010_34, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Papanek, Gustav F. & Kyn, Oldrich, 1986. "The effect on income distribution of development, the growth rate and economic strategy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 55-65, September.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Majeed, Muhammad Tariq, 2010.
"Distributional and Poverty Consequences of Globalization: A Dynamic Comparative Analysis for Developing Countries,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2010-62, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Muhammad Tariq Majeed & Ronald MacDonald, 2010. "Distributional and Poverty Consequences of Globalization: A Dynamic Comparative Analysis for Developing Countries," Working Papers 2010_22, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Donald Robbins, 2003. "The impact of trade liberalization upon inequality in developing countries - A review of theory and evidence-," DOCUMENTOS DE ECONOMÍA 003601, UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA - BOGOTÁ.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Ann Harrison, 1999. "Trade liberalization and wage inequality in Mexico," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 52(2), pages 271-288, January.
- Robbins, Donald J, 2003. "The impact of trade liberalization upon inequality in developing countries : a review of theory and evidence," ILO Working Papers 365055, International Labour Organization.
- Majeed, Dr. Muhammad Tariq, 2013. "Inequality, Financial Development and Government: Evidence from Low-Income Developing Countries," MPRA Paper 50296, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Majeed, M Tariq, 2011. "Trade, Poverty and Employment: Empirical Evidence from Pakistan," MPRA Paper 45077, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Muhammad Tariq MAJEED, 2010. "Inequality, Trade Openness And Economic Growth In Asia," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 10(2).
- Majeed, Muhammad Tariq, 2010. "Inequality, Trade Openness and Economic Growth in Asia," MPRA Paper 57772, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:50337. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.