Shariah Governance: Challenges Ahead
Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) had previously issued a number of statutory requirements in making the establishment of Shariah Committee (SC) of a bank mandatory via Islamic Banking Act 1983, Banking & Financial Institution Act 1989, Takaful Act 1984 and Central bank of Malaysia (Amendment) Act 2003. The establishment of SC is important as part of the governance of an Islamic Bank in order to assure the stakeholders that the Bank is doing its business in permissible manner as outlined by the Shariah. Despite the structure, there is still skepticism about the system mainly on the capacity and the capability of the SC as reported in previous publications. This paper shall identify challenges faced by the SC that had impaired their capacity and capability in achieving their objectives. Subsequently, this paper shall recommend alternative measures on issues highlighted in assisting the SC and Shariah Auditors in bridging the public expectations. This study confines to issues pertaining to Islamic Banks operating in Malaysia as published in relevant articles and the author’s personal encounter.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1997.
" A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 737-83, June.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," NBER Working Papers 5554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Iqbal, Zamir & Mirakhor, Abbas, 2004. "Stakeholders Model Of Governance In Islamic Economic System," Journal of Islamic Economic Studies, The Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI), vol. 11, pages 44-63.
- Iqbal, Zamir & Mirakhor, Abbas, 2004. "Stakeholders Model of Governance in Islamic Economic System," MPRA Paper 56027, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:47772. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.