Repercusiones de la definición de tamaño empresarial en los resultados empíricos sobre eficiencia y financiación
[Repercussions of firm size definition on empirical results for firm efficiency and financing research]
A huge number of quantitative and qualitative criteria perform the research practice and legal issuing on firm size and firm-size-related measures. Inside each of those criteria, quantitative boundaries between two firm categories have also been diverse, even arbitrary. This approach to firm size concept finds out a convergence among variables —assets, market share, labour cost— with activity segment remarks (where both a traditional division and a original proposal have been used). It is demonstrated that previous founding on industry-size relations —as well as profitability or financial structure measurements— clearly depend on firm size and industry (explicative variables) definitions and also on depending variables definitions (mainly profitability).
|Date of creation:||05 Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:||05 Sep 2007|
|Publication status:||Published in Observatorio Iberoamericano del Desarrollo Local y la Economía Social 1.1(2007): pp. 308-361|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lopez-Gracia, Jose & Aybar-Arias, Cristina, 2000. "An Empirical Approach to the Financial Behaviour of Small and Medium Sized Companies," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 55-63, February.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, September.
- HERNÁNDEZ GARCÍA, Mª del Carmen & RODRÍGUEZ BRITO, Mª Gracia & RODRÍGUEZ FERRER, Teresa, 2001. "El efecto industria en la estructura económico-financiera de la empresa," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 17, pages 141-161, Abril.
- Davis, Steven J & Haltiwanger, John & Schuh, Scott, 1996.
"Small Business and Job Creation: Dissecting the Myth and Reassessing the Facts,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 297-315, August.
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1993. "Small Business and Job Creation: Dissecting the Myth and Reassessing theFacts," NBER Working Papers 4492, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Becchetti, Leonardo & Trovato, Giovanni, 2002. "The Determinants of Growth for Small and Medium Sized Firms: The Role of the Availability of External Finance," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 291-306, December.
- Martinelli, Cesar, 1997. "Small firms, borrowing constraints, and reputation," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 91-105, May.
- Martinelli, César, 1995. "Small firms, borrowing constraints, and reputation," UC3M Working papers. Economics 3949, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Pinches, George E & Mingo, Kent A, 1973. "A Multivariate Analysis of Industrial Bond Ratings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 1-18, March.
- Hart, Peter E & Oulton, Nicholas, 1996. "Growth and Size of Firms," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1242-1252, September.
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Libia Santos-Requejo & Óscar González-Benito, 2000. "Economic Success Factors in Spanish Small Retail Businesses. An Analysis Based on Sector-Relative Definitions," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 209-222, November.
- Wald, John K, 1999. "How Firm Characteristics Affect Capital Structure: An International Comparison," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(2), pages 161-187, Summer.
- Almus, Matthias & Nerlinger, Eric A, 1999. "Growth of New Technology-Based Firms: Which Factors Matter?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 141-154, September.
- Cardone Riportella, Clara & Cazorla Papis, Leonardo, 2001. "New approaches to the analysis of the capital structure of SME's: empirical evidence from Spanish firms," DEE - Working Papers. Business Economics. WB wb011003, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Graham Hall & Patrick Hutchinson & Nicos Michaelas, 2000. "Industry Effects on the Determinants of Unquoted SMEs' Capital Structure," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 297-312.
- Jerome S. Osteryoung & R. Daniel Pace & Richard L. Constand, 1995. "An Empirical Investigation into the Size of Small Businesses," Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management, vol. 4(1), pages 75-86, Spring.
- José Fariñas & Lourdes Moreno, 2000. "Firms' Growth, Size and Age: A Nonparametric Approach," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 17(3), pages 249-265, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:4731. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.