Continuous invertibility and stable QML estimation of the EGARCH(1,1) model
We introduce the notion of continuous invertibility on a compact set for volatility models driven by a Stochastic Recurrence Equation (SRE). We prove the strong consistency of the Quasi Maximum Likelihood Estimator (QMLE) when the optimization procedure is done on a continuously invertible domain. This approach gives for the first time the strong consistency of the QMLE used by Nelson (1991) for the EGARCH(1,1) model under explicit but non observable conditions. In practice, we propose to stabilize the QMLE by constraining the optimization procedure to an empirical continuously invertible domain. The new method, called Stable QMLE (SQMLE), is strongly consistent when the observations follow an invertible EGARCH(1,1) model. We also give the asymptotic normality of the SQMLE under additional minimal assumptions.
|Date of creation:||07 Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Changli He & Timo Terasvirta & Hans Malmsten, 1999.
"Fourth Moment Structure of a Family of First-Order Exponential GARCH Models,"
Research Paper Series
29, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- He, Changli & Ter svirta, Timo & Malmsten, Hans, 2002. "Moment Structure Of A Family Of First-Order Exponential Garch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(04), pages 868-885, August.
- He, Changli & Teräsvirta, Timo & Malmsten, Hans, 1999. "Fourth Moment Structure of a Family of First-Order Exponential GARCH Models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 345, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Vrontos, I D & Dellaportas, P & Politis, D N, 2000. "Full Bayesian Inference for GARCH and EGARCH Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(2), pages 187-198, April.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Shao, Qi-Man, 1993. "Complete convergence for [alpha]-mixing sequences," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 279-287, March.
- Sucarrat, Genaro & Escribano, Álvaro, 2010. "The power log-GARCH model," UC3M Working papers. Economics we1013, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Elton, John H., 1990. "A multiplicative ergodic theorem for lipschitz maps," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 39-47, February.
- R. Cont, 2001. "Empirical properties of asset returns: stylized facts and statistical issues," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 223-236.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
- Brandt, Michael W. & Jones, Christopher S., 2006. "Volatility Forecasting With Range-Based EGARCH Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 470-486, October.
- Basrak, Bojan & Davis, Richard A. & Mikosch, Thomas, 2002. "Regular variation of GARCH processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 95-115, May.
- Jeantheau, Thierry, 1998. "Strong Consistency Of Estimators For Multivariate Arch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 70-86, February.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-370, March.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- repec:imd:wpaper:wp2010-25 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bougerol, Philippe & Picard, Nico, 1992. "Stationarity of Garch processes and of some nonnegative time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 115-127.
- Jensen, S ren Tolver & Rahbek, Anders, 2004. "Asymptotic Inference For Nonstationary Garch," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(06), pages 1203-1226, December.
- Antonis Demos & Dimitra Kyriakopoulou, 2010. "Bias Correction of ML and QML Estimators in the EGARCH(1,1) Model," DEOS Working Papers 1108, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Zaffaroni, Paolo, 2009. "Whittle estimation of EGARCH and other exponential volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 151(2), pages 190-200, August.
- Francq, Christian & Wintenberger, Olivier & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2012.
"Garch models without positivity constraints: exponential or log garch?,"
41373, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francq, Christian & Wintenberger, Olivier & Zakoïan, Jean-Michel, 2013. "GARCH models without positivity constraints: Exponential or log GARCH?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 177(1), pages 34-46.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:46027. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.