Optimal choice of an exchange rate regime: a critical literature review
This paper set out to review the main theories and empirical methods employed in selecting an appropriate exchange rate regime.In order to achieve this, the paper is organized as follows : Section 2 introduces the distinct classifications of exchange regimes(de jure exchange rate regimes versus the facto exchange rate regimes), and the different theoretical approaches which illustrate how an optimal exchange rate regime is determined . Despite their initial popularity, the theoretical considerations have not escaped criticism.Section 3 reviews the criticism of these theories.A conclusion is provided in Section 4.
|Date of creation:||17 Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:||19 Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frankel, Jeffrey, 2003.
"Experience of and Lessons from Exchange Rate Regimes in Emerging Economies,"
Working Paper Series
rwp03-011, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 2003. "Experience of and Lessons from Exchange Rate Regime in Emerging Economies," NBER Working Papers 10032, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Michael Gavin & Carmen Pagés-Serra & Ernesto H. Stein, 1999. "Financial Turmoil and Choice of Exchange Rate Regime," Research Department Publications 4170, .
- Michael D. Bordo, 2003.
"Exchange Rate Regime Choice in Historical Perspective,"
IMF Working Papers
03/160, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael D. Bordo, 2003. "Exchange Rate Regime Choice in Historical Perspective," NBER Working Papers 9654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Amartya Lahiri & Rajesh Singh & Carlos A. Vegh, 2007.
"Optimal Exchange Rate Regimes: Turning Mundell-Fleming's Dictum on its Head,"
Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 54(3), pages 249-270, September.
- Lahiri, Amartya & Singh, Rajesh & Vegh, Carlos, 2007. "Optimal Exchange Rate Regimes: Turning Mundell-Fleming's Dictum on Its Head," Staff General Research Papers 12816, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Amartya Lahiri & Rajesh Singh & Carlos A. Vegh, 2006. "Optimal exchange rate regimes: Turning Mundell-Fleming's dictum on its head," NBER Working Papers 12684, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Michael Gavin & Carmen Pagés & Ernesto H. Stein, 1999. "Financial Turmoil and the Choice of Exchange Rate Regime," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 4128, Inter-American Development Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43907. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.