The global financial crisis and indian banks: survival of the fittest?
The Indian banking system was initially thought to be insulated from the global financial crisis owing to heavy public ownership and cautious management. It was thus a surprise when some banks experienced a deposit flight, as depositors shifted their money toward government-owned banks and specifically toward the State Bank of India, the largest public bank. While there was some tendency for depositors to favour healthier banks and the banks with more stable funding, the reallocation of deposits toward the State Bank of India in particular cannot be explained by these factors alone. Nor can it be explained by the impact of explicit capital injections by the government into some public-sector banks. Rather it appears that the implicit guarantee of the liabilities of the country’s largest public bank dominated other considerations.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Poonam Gupta & Kalpana Kochhar & Sanjaya Panth, 2011. "Bank Ownership and the Effects of Financial Liberalization; Evidence from India," IMF Working Papers 11/50, International Monetary Fund.
- Sudheer Chava & Amiyatosh Purnanandam, 2006.
"The effect of a banking crisis on bank-dependent borrowers,"
1030, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Chava, Sudheer & Purnanandam, Amiyatosh, 2011. "The effect of banking crisis on bank-dependent borrowers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 116-135, January.
- Coleman, Nicholas & Feler, Leo, 2014. "Bank Ownership, Lending, and Local Economic Performance During the 2008-2010 Financial Crisis," International Finance Discussion Papers 1099, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ivashina, Victoria & Scharfstein, David, 2010. "Bank lending during the financial crisis of 2008," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 319-338, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43365. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.