Effect of the Fukushima accident on saving electricity: The case of the Japanese Professional Baseball League
This paper investigates whether and the extent to which the Fukushima nuclear accident 2011 affected human behavior based on a natural experiment with the Japanese Professional Baseball League. Comparing the duration of games in the 2010 and 2011 seasons reveals the following. (1) The duration of a game in the 2011 season was shorter than that in 2010, especially during the summer when Japan was experiencing an electricity shortage. (2) The duration of a game played on a holiday is longer than that played on a workday in 2011, whereas there is no difference between a holiday and workday game in 2010. (3) The greater the distance between Fukushima and the location the game is played, the longer the duration of the game in 2011. This was not observed in 2010. These findings imply that a nuclear accident increased the incentive of baseball players to engage in successful collective action to save electricity by decreasing the duration of a game, especially when the probability of an electricity shortage was high.
|Date of creation:||15 Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- yamamura, eiji, 2009.
"Effects of interactions among social capital, income, and learning from experiences of natural disasters: A case study from Japan,"
16223, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eiji Yamamura, 2010. "Effects of Interactions among Social Capital, Income and Learning from Experiences of Natural Disasters: A Case Study from Japan," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(8), pages 1019-1032.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2011.
"Effect of free media on views regarding nuclear energy after the Fukushima accident,"
32540, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eiji Yamamura, 2012. "Effect of Free Media on Views Regarding Nuclear Energy after the Fukushima Accident," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(1), pages 132-141, 02.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2010.
"Game Information, Local Heroes, And Their Effect On Attendance: The Case Of The Japanese Baseball League,"
21278, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2010. "Game Information, Local Heroes, And Their Effect On Attendance: The Case Of The Japanese Baseball League," MPRA Paper 19965, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- yamamura, eiji, 2008. "Game Information, Local Heroes, And Their Effect On Attendance: The Case Of The Japanese Baseball League," MPRA Paper 10303, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Moulton, Brent R, 1990. "An Illustration of a Pitfall in Estimating the Effects of Aggregate Variables on Micro Unit," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 334-38, May.
- Thomas J. Dohmen, 2008. "The Influence Of Social Forces: Evidence From The Behavior Of Football Referees," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 46(3), pages 411-424, 07.
- La Croix, Sumner J & Kawaura, Akihiko, 1999. "Rule Changes and Competitive Balance in Japanese Professional Baseball," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 37(2), pages 353-68, April.
- Toya, Hideki & Skidmore, Mark, 2007.
"Economic development and the impacts of natural disasters,"
Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 20-25, January.
- Mark Skidmore & Hideki Toya, 2005. "Economic Development and the Impacts of Natural Disasters," Working Papers 05-04, UW-Whitewater, Department of Economics.
- Mark Skidmore & Hideki Toya, 2002. "Do Natural Disasters Promote Long-Run Growth?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 40(4), pages 664-687, October.
- Luis Garicano & Ignacio Palacios & Canice Prendergast, 2001.
"Favoritism Under Social Pressure,"
NBER Working Papers
8376, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eiji Yamamura, 2011. "Game Information, Local Heroes, and Their Effect on Attendance: The Case of the Japanese Baseball League," Journal of Sports Economics, The North American Association of Sports Economists, vol. 12(1), pages 20-35, February.
- Mitsuyo Ando & Fukunari Kimura, 2012. "How did the Japanese Exports Respond to Two Crises in the International Production Networks? The Global Financial Crisis and the Great East Japan Earthquake," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 261-287, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42674. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.