The impact of the financial crisis on the interbank money markets behavior. Evidence from several CEE transition economies
The liquidity problems that appeared on the interbank money markets during the financial crisis caused an increased volatility of the interbank interest rates, especially after September 2008. Banking institutions from the Euro zone have avoided the mutual funding, which resulted in a reduction of the interbank interest rates due to the excess liquidity on the interbank money markets. In these conditions we want to analyze the behavior of interbank interest rates for several CEE transition countries, responding to the following question: will they return to the long run equilibrium or will they follow a random walk? In our research we deal with unit root tests taking into consideration structural breaks and the persistence of the volatility. We also examine the long run equilibrium between the term structures of interest rates appealing at the cointegration analysis and proposing some Vector Autoregressive models. Finally, we asses the cointegration between the interbank money markets from Euro zone, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Romania and propose some volatility transmission models.
|Date of creation:||15 Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kotomin, Vladimir & Smith, Stanley D. & Winters, Drew B., 2008. "Preferred habitat for liquidity in international short-term interest rates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 240-250, February.
- Minoas Koukouritakis, 2010. "Structural breaks and the expectations hypothesis of the term structure: evidence from Central European countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 145(4), pages 757-774, January.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Tom Doan, . "KPSS: RATS procedure to perform KPSS (Kwiatowski, Phillips, Schmidt, and Shin) stationarity test," Statistical Software Components RTS00100, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Gregory, Allan W & Hansen, Bruce E, 1996.
"Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime and Trend Shifts,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(3), pages 555-60, August.
- Tom Doan, . "GREGORYHANSEN: RATS procedure to implement Gregory-Hansen test for Cointegration with breaks," Statistical Software Components RTS00082, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Robert Engle, 2001. "GARCH 101: The Use of ARCH/GARCH Models in Applied Econometrics," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 157-168, Fall.
- Fecht, Falko & Grüner, Hans Peter & Hartmann, Philipp, 2007.
"Welfare Effects of Financial Integration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6311, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Grüner, Hans Peter & Fecht, Falko, 2007. "Welfare effects of financial integration," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2007,11, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Linzert, Tobias & Schmidt, Sandra, 2007.
"What Explains the Spread Between the Euro Overnight Rate and the ECB's Policy Rate?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
07-076, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Linzert, Tobias & Schmidt, Sandra, 2008. "What explains the spread between the euro overnight rate and the ECB's policy rate?," Working Paper Series 0983, European Central Bank.
- Junsoo Lee & Mark C. Strazicich, 2003. "Minimum Lagrange Multiplier Unit Root Test with Two Structural Breaks," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 1082-1089, November.
- Nautz, Dieter & Offermanns, Christian J., 2008. "Volatility transmission in the European money market," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 23-39, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.