Why are Latin Europeans less happy? The impact of hierarchy
Happiness in the North European is substantially higher than in the South European nations. Only part of that difference can be explained by economic prosperity. This paper explores the effect of social hierarchy. A comparison of contemporary survey findings show that power distance is more pronounced in the South than in the North of Eurpe. Macro‐sociological theory is used to provide an historical account of this difference and it can be used to explain why happiness is ower in hierarchical societies.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Chapter 12 in: Canevacci, M. (Ed.) Polyphonic Antropology: Theoretical and empirical cross-cultural field work. InTech Open Access Publishers, Reijka, Croatia, ISBN 978-953-51-0418-6 (2012): pp. chapter 12|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Bjørnskov & Axel Dreher & Justina A.V. Fischer, 2007.
"On Gender Inequality and Life Satisfaction: Does Discrimination Matter?,"
KOF Working papers
07-161, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Justina A.V. Fischer & Christian Bjornskov & Axel Dreher, 2007. "On Gender Inequality and Life Satisfaction: Does Discrimination Matter?," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2007 2007-07, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Bjørnskov, Christian & Dreher, Axel & Fischer, Justina AV, 2007. "On Gender Inequality and Life Satisfaction: Does Discrimination Matter?," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 657, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Ruut Veenhoven, 1999. "Quality-of-Life in Individualistic Society," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 48(2), pages 159-188, October.
- Jan Ott, 2010. "Good Governance and Happiness in Nations: Technical Quality Precedes Democracy and Quality Beats Size," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 353-368, June.
- Verme, Paolo, 2009.
"Happiness, freedom and control,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 146-161, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41925. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.