Motivations for the Bessarabian youth to study in Romanian universities
This paper explores the decisions of Bessarabian youth to study in a branch of a Romanian university. We used data collected from individual interviews with 58 students. We find that uncertainty and the material constraints played a major role in their choice. We also identify some factors with relevant influence on the schooling decisions, such as the perceptions about the costs of education, the wage expectations, and the compatibility with the future profession.
|Date of creation:||02 Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:||02 Oct 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beffy, Magali & Fougère, Denis & Maurel, Arnaud, 2009.
"Choosing the Field of Study in Post-Secondary Education: Do Expected Earnings Matter?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4127, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Magali Beffy & Denis Fougère & Arnaud Maurel, 2012. "Choosing the Field of Study in Postsecondary Education: Do Expected Earnings Matter?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 94(1), pages 334-347, February.
- Magali BEFFY & Denis FOUGERE & Arnaud MAUREL, 2009. "Choosing the Field of Study in Post-Secondary Education : Do Expected Earnings Matter ?," Working Papers 2009-14, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Giorgio Brunello & Maria De Paola & Vincenzo Scoppa, 2010.
"Peer Effects In Higher Education: Does The Field Of Study Matter?,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 48(3), pages 621-634, 07.
- Giorgio Brunello & Maria De Paola & Vincenzo Scoppa, 2009. "Peer Effects in Higher Education: Does the Field of Study Matter?," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0092, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Giorgio Brunello & Claudio Lucifora & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer, 2001.
"The wage expectations of European college students,"
Economics working papers
2001-08, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Lucifora, Claudio & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 2001. "The Wage Expectations of European College Students," CEPR Discussion Papers 2817, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Lucifora, Claudio & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 2001. "The Wage Expectations of European College Students," IZA Discussion Papers 299, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wolter, Stefan C. & Zbinden, André, 2001. "Rates of Return to Education: The View of Students in Switzerland," IZA Discussion Papers 371, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Huffman, David & Quigley, John M., 2002.
"The Role of the University in Attracting High Tech Entrepreneurship: A Silicon Valley Tale,"
Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series
qt39p8c937, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- David Huffman & John M. Quigley, 2002. "The role of the university in attracting high tech entrepreneurship: A Silicon Valley tale," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 403-419.
- Keane, Michael P & Wolpin, Kenneth I, 1997.
"The Career Decisions of Young Men,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(3), pages 473-522, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41621. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.