Regional policy and investment behaviour: The case of Greece, 1971-1982
The present paper reports an attempt to evaluate the relative effects of regional policy on investment in Greek manufacturing industry during 1971-82. A generalized neoclassical model of investment behaviour is used allowing for separate estimates of the effects of different policy instruments. Both regional investment incentives and infrastructure expenditures were found to exert a significant influence on capital formation. Simulations with alternative policy cornbinations showed that if incentives were accompanied by more equally distributed infrastructure expenditures the cost of the policy would be the same but its effects would be enhanced: an equal amount of investment would be created with a fairer regional distribution.
|Date of creation:||1989|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ronald L. Moomaw, 1981. "Productivity and City Size: A Critique of the Evidence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(4), pages 675-688.
- Segal, David, 1976. "Are There Returns to Scale in City Size?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(3), pages 339-50, August.
- Bernanke, Ben S, 1983. "The Determinants of Investment: Another Look," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(2), pages 71-75, May.
- Henderson, J. Vernon, 1986. "Efficiency of resource usage and city size," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 47-70, January.
- Bean, Charles R, 1981. "An Econometric Model of Manufacturing Investment in the UK," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(361), pages 106-21, March.
- Barry P. Bosworth & Robert M. Solow & Lawrence H. Summers, 1982. "Capital Formation and Economic Policy," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 13(2), pages 273-326.
- Helen Louri, 1988.
"Urban Growth and Productivity: The Case of Greece,"
Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 25(5), pages 433-438, October.
- M. S. Feldstein & J. S. Flemming, 1971. "Tax Policy, Corporate Saving and Investment Behaviour in Britain," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(4), pages 415-434.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:40229. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.