An Analysis of Intraday Patterns and Liquidity on the Istanbul Stock Exchange
We analyze different dimensions of liquidity on the Istanbul Stock Exchange (ISE) by using detailed order and transaction data for all ISE stocks. We estimate the limit order book on the ISE at each point in time and examine the intraday behavior of spreads, depths, returns and volume. We find that the spreads follow an L-shaped pattern whereas returns, number of trades and volume follow a U-shaped pattern. Means of these liquidity variables are significantly different for different time intervals in a given day. Another result is that traders use spreads and depths simultaneously to implement their strategies, i.e., wide spreads are accompanied by low depths and vice versa. We also find that spreads are higher on average for more risky stocks and for more active stocks. Measure of information flow as signaled by trades of unusual size causes the spreads to increase. Finally there are day-of-week effects on spreads, returns and share volume.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Charles M C & Mucklow, Belinda & Ready, Mark J, 1993. "Spreads, Depths, and the Impact of Earnings Information: An Intraday Analysis," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 345-374.
- Ahn, Hee-Joon & Cheung, Yan-Leung, 1999. "The intraday patterns of the spread and depth in a market without market makers: The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 539-556, December.
- McInish, Thomas H. & Wood, Robert A., 1990. "An analysis of transactions data for the Toronto Stock Exchange : Return patterns and end-of-the-day effect," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2-3), pages 441-458, August.
- Raj Aggarwal & Edward Gruca, 1993.
"Intraday Trading Patterns In The Equity Options Markets,"
Journal of Financial Research,
Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 16(4), pages 285-297, December.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Gruca, Edward, 1993. "Intraday Trading Patterns in the Equity Options Markets," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 16(4), pages 285-297, Winter.
- Tauchen, George, 1985. " An Investigation of Transactions Data for NYSE Stocks: Discussion," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 739-741, July.
- Jain, Prem C. & Joh, Gun-Ho, 1988. "The Dependence between Hourly Prices and Trading Volume," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(03), pages 269-283, September.
- Yadav, Pradeep K. & Pope, Peter F., 1992. "Intraweek and intraday seasonalities in stock market risk premia: Cash and futures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 233-270, February.
- Foster, F Douglas & Viswanathan, S, 1993. " Variations in Trading Volume, Return Volatility, and Trading Costs: Evidence on Recent Price Formation Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 187-211, March.
- Wood, Robert A & McInish, Thomas H & Ord, J Keith, 1985. " An Investigation of Transactions Data for NYSE Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 723-739, July.
- Chan, K C & Christie, William G & Schultz, Paul H, 1995. "Market Structure and the Intraday Pattern of Bid-Ask Spreads for NASDAQ Securities," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(1), pages 35-60, January.
- Harris, Lawrence, 1986. "A transaction data study of weekly and intradaily patterns in stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 99-117, May.
- McInish, Thomas H & Wood, Robert A, 1992. " An Analysis of Intraday Patterns in Bid/Ask Spreads for NYSE Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 753-764, June.
- Bildik, Recep, 2001. "Intra-day seasonalities on stock returns: evidence from the Turkish Stock Market," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 387-417, December.
- H. McInish, Thomas & Wood, Robert A., 1990. "A transactions data analysis of the variability of common stock returns during 1980-1984," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 99-112, March.
- Chang, Eric C & Jain, Prem C & Locke, Peter R, 1995. "Standard & Poor's 500 Index Futures Volatility and Price Changes around the New York Stock Exchange Close," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(1), pages 61-84, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:35968. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.