Identificarea regimului cursului de schimb valutar în republica moldova
It has been noted that there is an inconsistency between Moldova's monetary authorities' declared pursuit of price stability and the de facto exchange rate peg. This paper looks into the exchange rate regime of the Moldovan leu (MDL) aiming to identify the de facto regime, to test whether it can be described by a basket peg (and, if so, to determine the composition of this basket), and whether the regime has been stable over time (and, if not, to detect and date regime shifts). The methodologies used in our analysis include the celebrated Frankel-Wei regression, a Kalman filter algorithm and empirical fluctuation process. We show that MDL generally follows a peg to USD with varying implicit weight and fluctuation bands. The paper is organized as follows. Section 1 provides an insight into the exchange rate regime of Moldova by identifying the main trends and developments in its foreign exchange market. Section 2 reviews the economic literature on exchange rate regime identification. Section 3 describes the data used in the analysis. Section 4 explains the methodologies. Section 5 provides an interpretation of the results obtained. Finally, Section 6 summarizes the main findings.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1997.
"Leading indicators of currency crises,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1852, The World Bank.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Daniel Xie, 2009.
"Estimation of De Facto Flexibility Parameter and Basket Weights in Evolving Exchange Rate Regimes,"
NBER Working Papers
15620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey Frankel & Daniel Xie, 2010. "Estimation of De Facto Flexibility Parameter and Basket Weights in Evolving Exchange Rate Regimes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(2), pages 568-72, May.
- Jeffrey Frankel & Daniel, 2010. "Estimation of De Facto Flexibility Parameter and Basket Weights in Evolving Exchange Rate Regimes," Working Paper Series WP10-1, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Xie, Daniel, 2010. "Estimation of De Facto Flexibility Parameter and Basket Weights in Evolving Exchange Rate Regimes," Scholarly Articles 4454158, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Xie, Daniel, 2010. "Estimation of De Facto Flexibility Parameter and Basket Weights in Evolving Exchange Rate Regimes," Working Paper Series rwp10-003, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998.
"Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models,"
Cahiers de recherche
9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003. "Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Benassy-Quere, Agnes & Coeure, Benoit & Mignon, Valerie, 2006. "On the identification of de facto currency pegs," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 112-127, March.
- International Monetary Fund, 2008. "Republic of Moldova; Financial System Stability Assessment: Update," IMF Staff Country Reports 08/274, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:32232. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.