The impact of human capital on urban poverty: The case of Sargodha city
The positive relationship between human capital and income/wages has been supported by empirical research. Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and the Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper (PRSP) enormously emphasize on human capital for curbing poverty. The economic development in East Asian countries is also linked with investment in education for the development of human capital. This study is designed to investigate the relationship of different levels of education and experience upon urban poverty at medium sized city in Pakistan such as Sargodha. A survey-based analysis was carried out on a sample of 330 households. Poverty status of the individual is defined by using adjusted official poverty line. Results show that education and experience is negatively related with the poverty status of individuals and this fact sustains even in separate gender estimates as well. This implies education of poor is necessary in breaking the vicious circle of poverty. Combined effort by public, private, community participation and NGO’s with special focus on elementary (Primary and middle) education is suggested for reducing poverty by increasing the productivity of the poor through education.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Sustainable Development 1.4(2011): pp. 143-150|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lockheed, Marlaine E & Jamison, Dean T & Lau, Lawrence J, 1980. "Farmer Education and Farm Efficiency: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(1), pages 37-76, October.
- Gary S. Becker, 1962. "Investment in Human Capital: A Theoretical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 9.
- Blanca Zuluaga, 2007.
"Different Channels Of Impact Of Education On Poverty: An Analysis For Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMÍA Y FINANZAS
002351, UNIVERSIDAD ICESI.
- Blanca Zuluaga, 2007. "Different channels of impact of education on poverty: an analysis for Colombia," Working Papers Department of Economics ces0702, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- repec:pid:journl:v:46:y:2007:i:2:p:111-127 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:pid:mimaps:2006:19 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:pid:wpaper:2010:60 is not listed on IDEAS
- Awan, Masood Sarwar & Malik, Nouman & Sarwar, Haroon & Waqas, Muhammad, 2011. "Impact of education on poverty reduction," MPRA Paper 31826, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Masood Sarwar Awan & Nasir Iqbal, 2010. "Determinants of Urban Poverty : The Case of Medium Sized City in Pakistan," Development Economics Working Papers 22827, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Lockheed, Marlaine E & Jamison, Dean T & Lau, Lawrence J, 1987. "Farmer Education and Farm Efficiency: Reply," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(3), pages 643-44, April.
- Takashi Kurosaki & Humayun Khan, 2006. "Human Capital, Productivity, and Stratification in Rural Pakistan," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 116-134, 02.
- Theodore W. Schultz, 1960. "Capital Formation by Education," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68, pages 571.
- repec:pid:journl:v:44:y:2005:i:4:p:1093-1109 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hungerford, Thomas & Solon, Gary, 1987. "Sheepskin Effects in the Returns to Education," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(1), pages 175-77, February.
- Schultz, Theodore W, 1975. "The Value of the Ability to Deal with Disequilibria," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 13(3), pages 827-46, September.
- repec:pid:wpaper:2000:177 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:31829. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.