Mergers and Acquisitions: A pre-post analysis for the Indian financial services sector
This paper examines the Mergers & Acquisitions scenario of the Indian Financial Services Sector. The data for eighty cases of M&A in the period from March 1993- Feb 2010 is collected for a set of ten financial parameters representing the various characteristics of a firm. All the cases have been analyzed individually and collectively to determine the overall effects of M&A in the industry. The results of the study indicate that PAT and PBDITA have been positively affected after the merger but the liquidity condition represented by Current Ratio has deteriorated. Also Cost Efficiency and Interest Coverage have improved and deteriorated in equal number of cases. Interest Coverage remains an important factor in determining the return on shareholders’ funds both before and after the merger but Profit Margin also becomes important after the merger. And looking at the diversification effects of merger, in two out of the three cases there has been a reduction in total and systematic risk.
|Date of creation:||10 Apr 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yakov Amihud & Baruch Lev, 1981. "Risk Reduction as a Managerial Motive for Conglomerate Mergers," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 12(2), pages 605-617, Autumn.
- Eckbo, B. Espen, 1983. "Horizontal mergers, collusion, and stockholder wealth," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 241-273, April.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Ekta Selarka, 2008. "Impact of M&A on firm performance in India: Implications for concentration of ownership and insider entrenchment," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp907, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Mahesh Kumar Tambi, 2005. "Impact Of Mergers And Amalgamation On The Performance Of Indian Companies," Finance 0506007, EconWPA.
- Cornett, Marcia Millon & McNutt, Jamie John & Tehranian, Hassan, 2006. "Performance Changes around Bank Mergers: Revenue Enhancements versus Cost Reductions," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(4), pages 1013-1050, June.
- Albert Banal-Estañol & Marco Ottaviani, 2007.
"Bank Mergers and Diversification: Implications for Competition Policy,"
European Financial Management,
European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(3), pages 578-590.
- Banal-Estanol, A. & Ottaviani, M., 2006. "Bank mergers and diversification: implications for competition policy," Working Papers 06/11, Department of Economics, City University London.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:31253. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.