Residui fiscali regionali e riforma federalista. Quanto residuerà delle politiche regionali e redistributive?
[Fiscal residua and federalist reform in Italy. Will regional and redistributive policies survive?]
This paper criticizes the idea to conceive the fiscal federalist reform in Italy as a tool to empower central-northern regions to retain resources otherwise wasted in the South. We argue that such a view muddles up efficiency and redistribution issues, thus threatening the legitimate inter-regional fiscal flows. To dispute the thesis of excessive transfers to Mezzogiorno regions, we first show that the regional distribution of (both current and capital) government expenditure has systematically penalized the South in the last 15 years. Secondly, for the years 2004-2006, we calculate «benchmark» regional fiscal residua, consistent with the progressive Italian personal taxation (IRPEF), and the announced targets of regional policies (45% of total capital government expenditure to be made in the South). For most centre-northern regions, the actual residua turn out to be lower than the «benchmark» ones.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberto Ezcurra & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose, 2010.
"Is fiscal decentralization harmful for economic growth? Evidence from the OECD countries,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
33518, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Roberto Ezcurra, 2011. "Is fiscal decentralization harmful for economic growth? Evidence from the OECD countries," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(4), pages 619-643, July.
- Roberto Ezcurra & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose, 2010. "Is Fiscal Decentralization Harmful for Economic Growth? Evidence from the OECD Countries," SERC Discussion Papers 0051, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Roberto Ezcurra, 2010. "Is fiscal decentralization harmful for economic growth? Evidence from the OECD countries," Working Papers 2010-09, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Roberto Ezcurra, 2010. "Is fiscal decentralization harmful for economic growth?: evidence from the OECD countries," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 30796, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Giannola A. & Petraglia C., 2007. "Demand and supply oriented policies and development. The "forgotten" dualism," Rivista economica del Mezzogiorno, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 13-42.
- Charles Brown & Wallace E. Oates, 1985.
"Assistance to the Poor in a Federal System,"
NBER Working Papers
1715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto ZANARDI & Giampaolo ARACHI & Caterina FERRARIO, .
"Regional Redistribution and Risk Sharing in Italy: The Role of Different Tiers of Government,"
Regional and Urban Modeling
- Giampaolo Arachi & Caterina Ferrario & Alberto Zanardi, 2010. "Regional Redistribution and Risk Sharing in Italy: The Role of Different Tiers of Government," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(1), pages 55-69.
- Wallace E. Oates, 1999. "An Essay on Fiscal Federalism," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1120-1149, September.
- Maria Flavia Ambrosanio & Massimo Bordignon & Floriana Cerniglia, 2010.
"Constitutional Reforms, Fiscal Decentralization and Regional Fiscal Flows in Italy,"
in: The Political Economy of Inter-Regional Fiscal Flows, chapter 4
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Maria Flavia Ambrosanio & Massimo Bordignon & Floriana Cerniglia, 2008. "Constitutional reforms, fiscal decentralization and regional fiscal flows in Italy," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza ief0084, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Domenico SCALERA & Alberto ZAZZARO, 2010. "L'economia del Mezzogiorno. Nuova politica regionale, crisi globale e federalismo fiscale," Working Papers 337, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:30895. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.