Mode predictors in nonlinear systems with identities
For a nonlinear system of simultaneous equations, the mode of the joint distribution of the endogenous variables in the forecast period is proposed as alternative to the more usual deterministic or mean predictors. A first method follows from maximizing the joint density of a subset of the endogenous variables, corresponding to stochastic equations only (analogously to FIML estimation, where identities are first substituted into stochastic equations). Then a more general approach is developed, which maintains the identities. The model with identities is viewed as a mapping between the space of the random errors and a hypersurface in the space of the endogenous variables; the probability density is defined, and maximization is performed on such a hypersurface. Experimental results on these two mode predictors (and comparisons with deterministic and mean predictors) are provided for a macro model of the Italian economy.
|Date of creation:||Sep 1988|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in International Journal of Forecasting. Working paper presented at the European Meeting of the Econometric Society, Bologna, 1988. pp.1-29 6 (1990): pp. 317-326|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fair, Ray C, 1980.
"Estimating the Expected Predictive Accuracy of Econometric Models,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(2), pages 355-78, June.
- Ray C. Fair, 1978. "Estimating the Expected Predictive Accuracy of Econometric Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 480, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Brillet, Jean-Louis & Calzolari, Giorgio & Panattoni, Lorenzo, 1986. "Coherent optimal prediction with large nonlinear systems: an example based on a French model," MPRA Paper 29057, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mariano, Roberto S & Brown, Bryan W, 1983. "Asymptotic Behavior of Predictors in a Nonlinear Simultaneous System," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(3), pages 523-36, October.
- Fisher, Paul & Salmon, Mark, 1986.
"On Evaluating the Importance of Nonlinearity in Large Macroeconometric Models,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(3), pages 625-46, October.
- Fisher, Paul & Salmon, Mark, 1985. "On Evaluating the Importance of Non-Linearity in Large Macroeconometric Models," CEPR Discussion Papers 86, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brundy, James M & Jorgenson, Dale W, 1971. "Efficient Estimation of Simultaneous Equations by Instrumental Variables," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(3), pages 207-24, August.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1983. "Non-linear regression models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 333-389 Elsevier.
- Brown, Bryan W & Mariano, Roberto S, 1984. "Residual-Based Procedures for Prediction and Estimation in a Nonlinear Simultaneous System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 321-43, March.
- James M. Brundy & Dale W. Jorgenson, 1971. "Efficient estimation of simultaneous equations by instrumental variables," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 3, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Wallis, Kenneth F., 1982. "'Time-series' versus 'econometric' forecasts : A non-linear regression counterexample," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 309-315.
- Bianchi, Carlo & Calzolari, Giorgio & Corsi, Paolo, 1976. "Divergences in the results of stochastic and deterministic simulation of an Italian non linear econometric model," MPRA Paper 21287, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bianchi, Carlo & Calzolari, Giorgio, 1980. "The One-Period Forecast Errors in Nonlinear Econometric Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 201-08, February.
- Calzolari, Giorgio, 1979. "Antithetic variates to estimate the simulation bias in non-linear models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 323-328.
- Hall, S G, 1986. "The Application of Stochastic Simulation Techniques to the National Institute's Model 7," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 54(2), pages 180-201, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:28845. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.