Estimating a Differentiated Products Model with a Discrete/Continuous Choice and Limited Data
This paper specifies a vertically differentiated products model for a product with a discrete/continuous choice. The model is easily estimated with the relatively limited data used in classical demand equation estimation, supplemented by readily available market characteristics data. The model, with some modifications, is estimated with a new dataset (by state and region) for the U.S. Portland cement industry. Plausible patterns of own and cross price elasticities are obtained. The role of market characteristics is estimated generalizing the applicability of the results to other markets and periods.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1981. "Departures from marginal-cost pricing in the American automobile industry : Estimates for 1977-1978," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 201-227, November.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F, 1987. "Competition and Collusion in the American Automobile Industry: The 1955 Price War," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 457-82, June.
- Davis, Peter, 2000. "Empirical models of demand for differentiated products," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 993-1005, May.
- Montgomery, Michael R., 1995. "'Time-to-build' completion patterns for nonresidential structures, 1961-1991," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 155-163, May.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Doris Preston, 1966. "Source Book of Statistics Relating to Construction," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number lips66-1, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:28681. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.