Activity diversification and performance of Islamic banks in Malaysia
The current paper analyzes the performance and the choice of portfolio in Islamic banks. We consider a sample of 8 Malaysian universal Islamic banks between 2004 and 2008. We use the Herfindahl-Hirschman Index (HHI) as an indicator of the degree of diversification. The performance of the banks is measured by the return on assets ratio (ROA) and the Risk Adjusted Return On Capital ratio (RAROC). Finally, we use the Modern Portfolio Theory (MPT) of Markowitz to define the efficient frontier and the optimal portfolio.The results show that the corporate and investment activity increases significantly returns on assets. However, retail and commercial activity improves the results and performance of these banks. We find evidence that the level of diversification is not too high and recommend that they become concentrated on just one type of these activities. Finally, the MPT supports the idea that Islamic banks are not efficient.
|Date of creation:||23 Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bacha, Obiyathulla I., 2008.
"The Islamic Inter bank Money Market and a Dual Banking System : The Malaysian Experience,"
12699, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2008.
- Obiyathulla Ismath Bacha, 2008. "The Islamic inter bank money market and a dual banking system: the Malaysian experience," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(3), pages 210-226, September.
- Kevin Stiroh, 2004. "Do Community Banks Benefit from Diversification?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 135-160, April.
- Edward Zaik & John Walter & Gabriela Retting & Christopher James, 1996. "Raroc At Bank Of America: From Theory To Practice," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 9(2), pages 83-93.
- Goddard, John & McKillop, Donal & Wilson, John O.S., 2008. "The diversification and financial performance of US credit unions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1836-1849, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:28348. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.