New estimates of the hybrid US Phillips curve
This paper examines the validity of Rudd and Whelan’s (2006) critiques of Gali and Gertler’s (1999) hybrid Phillips curve (HYPC) by re-estimating the HYPC using full information maximum likelihood (FIML). We also estimate HYPC with the constraint that the weights for the sum of forward looking and backward looking expectations should be unity. Our results support Rudd and Whelan’s conclusion that the weight for forward looking expectations is insignificant.
|Date of creation:||17 Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karl Whelan & Jeremy Rudd, 2003.
"Can Rational Expectations Sticky-Price Models Explain Inflation Dynamics?,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2003
181, Society for Computational Economics.
- Jeremy Rudd & Karl Whelan, 2006. "Can Rational Expectations Sticky-Price Models Explain Inflation Dynamics?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 303-320, March.
- Rudd, Jeremy & Whelan, Karl, 2003. "Can Rational Expectations Sticky-Price Models Explain Inflation Dynamics," Research Technical Papers 5/RT/03, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Jeremy Rudd & Karl Whelan, 2003. "Can rational expectations sticky-price models explain inflation dynamics?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2003-46, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 2000.
"Inflation Dynamics: A Structural Econometric Analysis,"
NBER Working Papers
7551, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999. "Inflation dynamics: A structural econometric analysis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 195-222, October.
- Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1998. "Inflation dynamics: A structural econometric analysis," Economics Working Papers 341, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Rudd, Jeremy & Whelan, Karl, 2005.
"Modelling Inflation Dynamics: A Critical Review of Recent Research,"
Research Technical Papers
7/RT/05, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Jeremy Rudd & Karl Whelan, 2007. "Modeling Inflation Dynamics: A Critical Review of Recent Research," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(s1), pages 155-170, 02.
- Jeremy Rudd & Karl Whelan, 2005. "Modelling inflation dynamics: a critical review of recent research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-66, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Rao, B Bhaskara & Srivastava, Virendra K, 1991. "A Disequilibrium Model of Rational Expectations for the U.K," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(407), pages 877-86, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:27528. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.