Conspicuous Consumption and Inequality
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Kerwin Kofi Charles & Erik Hurst & Nikolai Roussanov, 2009. "Conspicuous Consumption and Race," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 124(2), pages 425-467.
- Konrad, Kai A. & Lommerud, Kjell Erik, 1993.
"Relative standing comparisons, risk taking, and safety regulations,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 345-358, July.
- Kai A. Konrad & Kjell Erik Lommerud, 1992. "Relative Standing Comparisons, Risk Taking and Safety Regulations," CESifo Working Paper Series 14, CESifo Group Munich.
- Erzo F. P. Luttmer, 2005.
"Neighbors as Negatives: Relative Earnings and Well-Being,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 120(3), pages 963-1002.
- Luttmer, Erzo F. P., 2004. "Neighbors as Negatives: Relative Earnings and Well-Being," Working Paper Series rwp04-029, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Erzo F.P. Luttmer, 2004. "Neighbors as Negatives: Relative Earnings and Well-Being," NBER Working Papers 10667, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Postlewaite, Andrew, 1998.
"The social basis of interdependent preferences,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 779-800, May.
- Andrew Postlewaite, "undated". ""The Social Basis of Interdependent Preferences''," CARESS Working Papres 97-14, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Andrew Postlewaite, "undated". "The Social Basis of Interdependent Preferences," Penn CARESS Working Papers 6bd000503382ae2f0b90d25e3, Penn Economics Department.
- Alpizar, Francisco & Carlsson, Fredrik & Johansson-Stenman, Olof, 2005.
"How much do we care about absolute versus relative income and consumption?,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 405-421, March.
- Alpizar, Francisco & Carlsson, Fredrik & Johansson-Stenman, Olof, 2001. "How Much Do We Care About Absolute Versus Relative Income and Consumption?," Working Papers in Economics 63, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Bill Dupor & Wen-Fang Liu, 2003. "Jealousy and Equilibrium Overconsumption," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 423-428, March.
- Glazer, Amihai & Konrad, Kai A, 1996. "A Signaling Explanation for Charity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 1019-1028, September.
- Ferrer-i-Carbonell, Ada, 2005. "Income and well-being: an empirical analysis of the comparison income effect," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(5-6), pages 997-1019, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Saravana Jaikumar & Ankur Sarin, 2015. "Conspicuous consumption and income inequality in an emerging economy: evidence from India," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 279-292, September.
More about this item
KeywordsConspicuousness; peer group effects; keeping up with the Joneses; status signaling; envy; snob;
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-09-18 (All new papers)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24910. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .