Logical, mechanical and historical time in economics
Within the economic theory different notions of time imply alternative analytical structures. This article discusses and rejects the methodological dichotomy between ‘temporal’ and ‘a-temporal’ models (equilibrium and disequilibrium models) in economics. Different notions of time are identified –logical, mechanical and historical time- which enable to specify corresponding sequential methods and to address different questions within the economic theory. Some analytical implications are examined. In the light of the proposed methodological distinction different theories of the rate of interest are evaluated and new light is thrown on the important debate on finance which arose in the ‘30s among Keynes, Robertson and representatives of the Swedish School (Ohlin).
|Date of creation:||1981|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Economic Notes, Monte dei Paschi di Siena n. 3.vol 10(1981): pp. 2-48|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kregel, J A, 1976. "Economic Methodology in the Face of Uncertainty: The Modelling Methods of Keynes and the Post-Keynesians," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(342), pages 209-25, June.
- Grandmont Jean-michel & Laroque Guy, 1974.
"On temporary keynesian equilibria,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Zellner, Arnold, 1979. "Causality and econometrics," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 9-54, January.
- B. H. Beckhart & Carl F. Behrens & George N. Emory & James J. O'leary & A. M. Weimer, 1950. "Discussion," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 5(4), pages 324-336, December.
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1975.
"Neo-Keynesian Disequilibrium Theory in a Monetary Economy,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 503-23, October.
- Benassy Jean-pascal, 1974. "Neokeynesian disequilibrium theory in a monetary economy," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 7402, CEPREMAP.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Younes, Yves, 1973. "On the Efficiency of a Monetary Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 149-65, April.
- Davidson, Paul, 1972. "Money and the Real World," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(325), pages 101-15, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24491. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.