A Critical Note on Marx’s Theory of Profits
This paper shows that Marx’s theory of profits is based, implicitly, on the existence of a vertically integrated sector that (i) can produce the exact amount of commodities re-ceived as wages; (ii) includes all the processes of production actually used in the econ-omy considered; and (iii) constitutes a quasi-one-commodity system. Nevertheless, the said sector does not always exist, whilst when it exists, positive surplus labour is a nec-essary and sufficient condition for positive profits in this sector, pure and simple. Con-sequently, Marx’s theory of profits cannot be sustained.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Asian-African Journal of Economics and Econometrics 1.6(2006): pp. 1-11|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Petri, Fabio, 1980. "Positive Profits without Exploitation: A Note on the Generalized Fundamental Marxian Theorem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 531-33, March.
- Steedman, Ian, 1976. "Positive Profits with Negative Surplus Value: A Reply," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(343), pages 604-08, September.
- Morishima, Michio, 1974. "Marx in the Light of Modern Economic Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(4), pages 611-32, July.
- Steedman, Ian, 1975. "Positive Profits with Negative Surplus Value," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 85(337), pages 114-23, March.
- Kurz,Heinz D. & Salvadori,Neri, 1997.
"Theory of Production,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521588676, November.
- Morishima, M, 1980. "Positive Profit without Exploitation: A Comment of F. Petri's Note," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 535, March.
- Garegnani, Pierangelo, 1984. "Value and Distribution in the Classical Economists and Marx," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(2), pages 291-325, June.
- Roemer, John E, 1980. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Marxian Economics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 505-30, March.
- Bidard, Christian, 1997. "Pure Joint Production," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(6), pages 685-701, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24044. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.