Class and Exploitation in General Convex Cone Economies
In this paper, we examine what appropriate formulations for labor exploitation are, in order to explain the emergence of class and exploitation status in capitalist economies. Given the well-known controversy on plausible formulations for labor exploitation in joint production economies, we propose an axiom, Axiom for Labor Exploitation (LE), which every formulation of labor exploitation should satisfy to be considered 'Marxian.' Using this axiom, the necessary and sufficient condition for plausible formulations of Marxian exploitation is characterized to verify Class-Exploitation Correspondence Principle (CECP) [Roemer (1982)]. According to this, if some labor exploitation formulations, such as the well-known formulations of Morishima (1974) and Roemer (1982; Chapter 5) are applied, CECP no longer holds in general convex cone economies. Based upon this argument, we propose two new definitions of labor exploitation, each of which verifies CECP as well as Fundamental Marxian Theorem (FMT).
|Length:||26, 8 p.|
|Date of creation:||Jan 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186|
Web page: http://www.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Skillman, Gilbert L., 1995. "Ne Hic Saltaveris: The Marxian Theory of Exploitation After Roemer," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 309-331, October.
- Yoshihara, N., 1996.
"Wealth, Exploitation and Labor Discipline in the Contemporary Capitalist Economy,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0405, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Naoki Yoshihara, 1998. "Wealth, Exploitation and Labor Discipline in the Contemporary Capitalist Economy," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 23-61, 02.
- Naoki Yoshihara, 2000.
"Characterizations of Bargaining Solutions in Production Economies with Unequal Skills,"
Discussion Paper Series
a396, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Yoshihara, Naoki, 2003. "Characterizations of bargaining solutions in production economies with unequal skills," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 256-285, February.
- Morishima, Michio, 1974. "Marx in the Light of Modern Economic Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(4), pages 611-32, July.
- Yoshihara, Naoki & Veneziani, Roberto, 2009.
"Exploitation as the Unequal Exchange of Labour: An Axiomatic Approach,"
CCES Discussion Paper Series
23, Center for Research on Contemporary Economic Systems, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Yoshihara, Naoki & Veneziani, Roberto, 2009. "Exploitation as the Unequal Exchange of Labour : An Axiomatic Approach," Discussion Paper Series a524, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Naoki Yoshihara & Roberto Veneziani, 2009. "Exploitation as the Unequal Exchange of Labour: An Axiomatic Approach," Working Papers 655, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Reiko Gotoh & Naoki Yoshihara, 2003.
"A class of fair distribution rules à la Rawls and Sen,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 22(1), pages 63-88, 08.
- Reiko Gotoh & Naoki Yoshihara, 2000. "A Class of Fair Distribution Rules a la Rawls and Sen," Discussion Paper Series a389, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Lipietz, Alain, 1982. "The so-called "transformation problem" revisited," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 59-88, February.
- Roemer, John E, 1980. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Marxian Economics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 505-30, March.
- Devine, James & Dymski, Gary, 1992. "Walrasian Marxism Once Again," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 157-162, April.
- Veneziani, Roberto, 2007. "Exploitation and time," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 189-207, January.
- Flaschel, Peter, 1983. "Actual Labor Values in a General Model of Production," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 435-54, March.
- John E. Roemer, 1986. "Equality of Resources Implies Equality of Welfare," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(4), pages 751-784.
- Petri, Fabio, 1980. "Positive Profits without Exploitation: A Note on the Generalized Fundamental Marxian Theorem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 531-33, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:hituec:a489. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiromichi Miyake)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.