A neo-Ricardian critique of the traditional static theory of trade, customs unions and common markets
The vast majority of meaningful discussions about the processes of economic integration and liberalization of trade have so far revolved around the neoclassical theory. This paper is based on the neo-Ricardian theory, briefly investigates the issues of free trade, customs unions and common markets, and shows that the relevant neoclassical propositions do not hold and/or make no sense in a world ‘of production of commodities by means of commodities’. Thus, the fundamental theoretical presuppositions of the aforesaid debate are called in question.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bidard, Christian, 1997. "Pure Joint Production," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(6), pages 685-701, November.
- Steedman, Ian, 1982. "Joint Production and the Wage-Rent Frontier," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(366), pages 377-385, June.
- G. D. A. MacDougall, 1960. "THE BENEFITS and COSTS OF PRIVATE INVESTMENT FROM ABROAD: A THEORETICAL APPROACH," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 36(73), pages 13-35, 03.
- Kurz,Heinz D. & Salvadori,Neri, 1997.
"Theory of Production,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521588676, November.
- Kurz,Heinz D. & Salvadori,Neri, 1995. "Theory of Production," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521443258, Diciembre.
- Parrinello, Sergio, 2006. "National competitiveness and absolute advantage in a global economy," MPRA Paper 30807, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- King, Robert G & Rebelo, Sergio, 1990. "Public Policy and Economic Growth: Developing Neoclassical Implications," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 126-150, October.
- King, R.G. & Rebelo, S., 1988. "Public Policy And Economic Growth: Developing Neoclassical Implications," RCER Working Papers 225, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Robert G. King & Sergio Rebelo, 1990. "Public Policy and Economic Growth: Developing Neoclassical Implications," NBER Working Papers 3338, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 2004. "Where Ricardo and Mill Rebut and Confirm Arguments of Mainstream Economists Supporting Globalization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 135-146, Summer.
- Krishna Bharadwaj, 1970. "On the Maximum Number of Switches Between Two Production Systems," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 106(IV), pages 409-429, December.
- Theodore Mariolis, 2008. "Heterogeneous Capital Goods And The Harrod-Balassa-Samuelson Effect," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(2), pages 238-248, 05.
- Ruffin, Roy J., 1984. "International factor movements," Handbook of International Economics,in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 5, pages 237-288 Elsevier.
- Choi, E. Kwan & Harrigan, James, 2003. "Handbook of International Trade," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11375, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Mainwaring, L, 1974. "A Neo-Ricardian Analysis of International Trade," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 537-553.
- Melvin, James R, 1969. "Comments on the Theory of Customs Unions," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 37(2), pages 161-168, June.
- Theodore Mariolis, 2004. "Pure joint production and international trade: a note," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(3), pages 449-456, May.
- Ian Steedman, 1999. "Production of Commodities by Means of Commodities and the Open Economy," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 260-276, October.
- Brewer, Anthony, 1985. "Trade with fixed real wages and mobile capital," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 177-186, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:23088. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.