Weak-form market efficiency and calendar anomalies for Eastern Europe equity markets
In this paper we test the weak form of the efficient market hypothesis for Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) equity markets for the period 1999-2009. To test weak form efficiency in the markets this study uses, autocorrelation analysis, runs test, and variance ratio test. We find that stock markets of the Central and Eastern Europe do not follow a random walk process. This is an important finding for the CEE markets as an informed investor can identify mispriced assets in the markets by studying the past prices in these markets. We also test the presence of daily anomalies for the same group of stock markets using a basic model and a more advanced Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Mean (GARCH-M) model. Results indicate that day-of-the-week effect is not evident in most markets except for some. Overall results indicate that some of these markets are not weak form efficient and an informed investor can make abnormal profits by studying the past prices of the assets in these markets.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaushik Bhattacharya & Nityananda Sarkar & Debabrata Mukhopadhyay, 2003. "Stability of the day of the week effect in return and in volatility at the Indian capital market: a GARCH approach with proper mean specification," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(8), pages 553-563.
- Carstensen, Kai & Toubal, Farid, 2004.
"Foreign direct investment in Central and Eastern European countries: a dynamic panel analysis,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 3-22, March.
- Kai Carstensen & Farid Toubal, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern European Countries: A Dynamic Panel Analysis," Kiel Working Papers 1143, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Carstensen, Kai & Toubal, Farid, 2004. "Foreign direct investment in Central and Eastern European countries: A dynamic panel analysis," Munich Reprints in Economics 19965, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Chun, Rodney M., 2000. "Compensation vouchers and equity markets: Evidence from Hungary," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1155-1178, July.
- Ojah, Kalu & Karemera, David, 1999. "Random Walks and Market Efficiency Tests of Latin American Emerging Equity Markets: A Revisit," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 34(2), pages 57-72, May.
- Asma Mobarek & A. Sabur Mollah & Rafiqul Bhuyan, 2008. "Market Efficiency in Emerging Stock Market," Journal of Emerging Market Finance, Institute for Financial Management and Research, vol. 7(1), pages 17-41, January.
- Summers, Lawrence H, 1986. " Does the Stock Market Rationally Reflect Fundamental Values?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(3), pages 591-601, July.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1987.
"Stock Market Prices Do Not Follow Random Walks: Evidence From a Simple Specification Test,"
NBER Working Papers
2168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo, A. Craig MacKinlay, 1988. "Stock Market Prices do not Follow Random Walks: Evidence from a Simple Specification Test," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 41-66.
- Rockinger, Michael & Urga, Giovanni, 2000. "The Evolution of Stock Markets in Transition Economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 456-472, September.
- Jorge L. Urrutia, 1995. "Tests Of Random Walk And Market Efficiency For Latin American Emerging Equity Markets," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 18(3), pages 299-309, 09.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Guntram Wolff, 2007.
"Foreign Direct Investment in the Enlarged EU: Do Taxes Matter and to What Extent?,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 327-346, July.
- Wolff, Guntram B., 2006. "Foreign direct investment in the enlarged EU: do taxes matter and to what extent?," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,13, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- French, Kenneth R., 1980. "Stock returns and the weekend effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 55-69, March.
- Kim, Jae H. & Shamsuddin, Abul, 2008. "Are Asian stock markets efficient? Evidence from new multiple variance ratio tests," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 518-532, June.
- Andrew C. Worthington & Helen Higgs, 2003. "Tests of random walks and market efficiency in Latin American stock markets: An empirical note," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 157, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Taufiq Choudhry, 2000. "Day of the week effect in emerging Asian stock markets: evidence from the GARCH model," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 235-242.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1991. " Efficient Capital Markets: II," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1575-617, December.
- R. Golinelli & R. Orsi, 2001. "Hungary and Poland," Working Papers 424, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Dimitris Kenourgios & Aristeidis Samitas & Spyros Papathanasiou, 2005. "The Day of the Week Effect Patterns on Stock Market Return and Volatility: Evidence for the Athens Stock Exchange," Finance 0512028, EconWPA.
- Wright, Jonathan H, 2000.
"Alternative Variance-Ratio Tests Using Ranks and Signs,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 18(1), pages 1-9, January.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Wright's Alternative Variance Ratio test results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00168, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Grieb, Terrance & Reyes, Mario G, 1999. "Random Walk Tests for Latin American Equity Indexes and Individual Firms," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(4), pages 371-83, Winter.
- Kuo-Ping Chang & Kuo-Shiuan Ting, 2000. "A variance ratio test of the random walk hypothesis for Taiwan's stock market," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 525-532.
- Abraham Abraham, 2002. "Testing the Random Walk Behavior and Efficiency of the Gulf Stock Markets," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 37(3), pages 469-480, 08.
- Peter Fortune, 1991. "Stock market efficiency: an autopsy?," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Mar, pages 17-40.
- Nabeel Al-Loughani & David Chappell, 2001. "Modelling the day-of-the-week effect in the Kuwait Stock Exchange: a nonlinear GARCH representation," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 353-359.
- Jean-François Nivet, 1997. "Stock markets in transition: the Warsaw experiment," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 5(1), pages 171-183, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:21984. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.