The optimal layout of football players: A case study for AC Milan
This paper attempts to find the optimal formation of three midfielders and three forward football players on ground, using the classic Quadratic Assignment Problem or Facility Layout problem. Players are treated as “machines”, their positions as locations, and the flow of materials between machines as “flow of passes” and “flow of markings”. Based on detailed statistics from four matches of AC Milan, and formulated the problem as minimum (quick strategy), maximum (slow strategy), and mixed or balanced strategies, a number of various layouts emerged. Compared to the initial formation of players, the efficiency time gains in the unconditioned layouts are between 3 and 6.8%. Also, when the manager claims that his three forwards shouldn’t shift positions with the midfielders, the efficiency gains in these restricted layouts is about 14´´ to 74´´, which is about 1 to 3% of the approximately 40´ effective time spent into passes and markings from both teams.
|Date of creation:||30 Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loiola, Eliane Maria & de Abreu, Nair Maria Maia & Boaventura-Netto, Paulo Oswaldo & Hahn, Peter & Querido, Tania, 2007. "A survey for the quadratic assignment problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(2), pages 657-690, January.
- Papahristodoulou, Christos, 1999.
"A Pure Binary LP Model to the Facility Layout Problem,"
Working Paper Series
1999:13, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Papahristodoulou, C., 1999. "A Pure Binary LP Model to the Facility Layout Problem," Papers 1999:13, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Papahristodoulou, Christos, 2007. "An analysis of Champions League match statistics," MPRA Paper 3605, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hahn, Peter M. & Kim, Bum-Jin & Stutzle, Thomas & Kanthak, Sebastian & Hightower, William L. & Samra, Harvind & Ding, Zhi & Guignard, Monique, 2008. "The quadratic three-dimensional assignment problem: Exact and approximate solution methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(2), pages 416-428, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:20102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.