Dynamic Pairs Trading Strategy For The Companies Listed In The Istanbul Stock Exchange
In this research we performed pairs trading strategy based on a comparative mean reversion of asset prices with daily data over the period 2002 through 2008 in Istanbul Stock Exchange. We did not categorize stock pairs by sectors and therefore it is possible to observe mean reversion characteristics of different stocks that are selected from ISE-30 index. The initial formation period is 125 days (approx. 6 months) while we measure the performance results daily. Then both formation process and trading strategies have been structured as dynamic (rolling windows) market trading model through 2008. The results indicate that pairs produced average returns of % 3.36 daily comparing with the naïve buy and hold strategy. However ISE30 daily average return performance % 0.038 between 2002-2008 period. Our trading constraints and trading commissions take away the excess return on pairs mostly. Furthermore, the performance analysis reveals that the pairs trading strategy yields excess returns with less volatility than the market portfolio.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F, 1991. " Efficient Capital Markets: II," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1575-617, December.
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2001. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-4, January.
- Kostas Triantafyllopoulos & Giovanni Montana, 2008.
"Dynamic modeling of mean-reverting spreads for statistical arbitrage,"
0808.1710, arXiv.org, revised May 2009.
- K. Triantafyllopoulos & G. Montana, 2011. "Dynamic modeling of mean-reverting spreads for statistical arbitrage," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 23-49, April.
- Evan G. Gatev & William N. Goetzmann & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 1999.
"Pairs Trading: Performance of a Relative Value Arbitrage Rule,"
NBER Working Papers
7032, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Evan Gatev & William N. Goetzmann & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 2006. "Pairs Trading: Performance of a Relative-Value Arbitrage Rule," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(3), pages 797-827.
- William Goetzmann & Evan g. Gatev & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 1998. "Pairs Trading: Performance of a Relative Value Arbitrage Rule," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm3, Yale School of Management.
- Evan Gatev & William N. Goetzmann & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 1998. "Pairs Trading: Performance of a Relative Value Arbitrage Rule," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm26, Yale School of Management.
- William N. Goetzmann & Evan Geov Gatev & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 1998. "Pairs Trading: Performance of a Relative Value Arbitrage Rule," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm109, Yale School of Management.
- Perlin, M., 2007. "Evaluation of pairs trading strategy at the Brazilian financial market," MPRA Paper 8308, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Perlin, M., 2007. "M of a kind: A Multivariate Approach at Pairs Trading," MPRA Paper 8309, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:19887. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.