Reform, Reform the Reforms or Simply Regression? The Washington Consensus' and its Critics
The 'Washington Consensus' analysis and policies are being disputed both analytically and for their effectiveness.This paper surveys first the debate on the definition of the 'Washington Consensus' vis-a-vis its apparent developmental shortcomings. Then it surveys the major areas where the 'Washington Consensus' isjudged as a failure (with articular emphasis on the crises of the 1990s).In the next part it presents the main responses to the 'crisis' of the 'Washington Consensus'. Its supporters are categorised in tre fundamentalists and the reformists whereas its opponents are divided in the post-Washington Consensus adherents and the Marxist critics. It is argued that the Marxist perspective offers a superior understanding and critique of the 'Washington Consensus'.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rodrik, Dani, 2005.
Handbook of Economic Growth,in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 14, pages 967-1014
- Dani Rodrick, 2003. "Growth Strategies," Economics working papers 2003-17, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Dani Rodrik, 2003. "Growth Strategies," NBER Working Papers 10050, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2003. "Growth Strategies," CEPR Discussion Papers 4100, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul W. Miller & Jonathan J. Pincus, 2010. "Introduction," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 86(s1), pages 1-1, 09.
- Rodnik, Dani, 1992. "Conceptual issues in the design of trade policy for industrialization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 309-320, March.
- Richard Kozul-Wright & Paul Rayment, 2004. "Globalization Reloaded: An Unctad Perspective," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 167, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:19735. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.