Lifetime Uncertainty and the Optimal Replacement Rate of urban Public Pension in China
By considering lifetime uncertainty, this paper employs an OLG model within general equilibrium framework to analyze China’s urban public pension system. Using the condition for the steady-state of market economy to satisfy the social welfare maximization, we solve the optimal social pool benefit replacement rate. This optimal replacement rate depends on the population growth rate, survival probability in retirement period, capital share of income, individual discount rate and social discount rate. The simulations show that the optimal social pool benefit replacement rate rises with the life expectancy, whereas falls with the population growth rate. It should decrease when the life expectancy has risen and the population growth rate fallen because it is much more sensitive to the latter than the former.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kelvin R. Utendorf & Rowena A. Pecchenino, 1999.
"Social security, social welfare and the aging population,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 607-623.
- Pecchenino, R.A., 1994. "Social Security, Social Welfare and the Aging Population," Papers 9403, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Rowena A. Pecchenino & Patricia S. Pollard, 2000.
"Dependent children and aged parents: funding education and social security in an aging economy,"
1995-001, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Pecchenino, Rowena A. & Pollard, Patricia S., 2002. "Dependent children and aged parents: funding education and social security in an aging economy," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 145-169, June.
- Zhang, Junsen & Zhang, Jie & Lee, Ronald, 2001. "Mortality decline and long-run economic growth," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 485-507, June.
- van Groezen, Bas & Leers, Theo & Meijdam, Lex, 2003. "Social security and endogenous fertility: pensions and child allowances as siamese twins," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 233-251, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:18794. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.