Decentralization and good governance: The case of Indonesia
Indonesia began a process of rapid government decentralization in 1999 from a formerly strong centralized government structure. I review the history of decentralization in Indonesia and assess how Indonesia has fared in pursuing a decentralization policy since 1999. I illustrate how Indonesia meets several criteria of successful decentralization and how it is fails the criteria in principle in other areas. Finally, I indicate the likely future challenges faced by Indonesia as it implements decentralization and provide some recommendations to improve the ongoing decentralization process.
|Date of creation:||28 Feb 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George Fane, 2003. "Change And Continuity In Indonesia'S New Fiscal Decentralisation Arrangements," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(2), pages 159-176.
- Era Dabla-Norris & Paul R Wade, 2002. "The Challenge of Fiscal Decentralization in Transition Countries," IMF Working Papers 02/103, International Monetary Fund.
- Crook,Richard C. & Manor,James, 1998. "Democracy and Decentralisation in South Asia and West Africa," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521631570, Diciembre.
- World Bank, 2003. "Decentralizing Indonesia : A Regional Public Expenditure Review Overview Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14632, The World Bank.
- Crook,Richard C. & Manor,James, 1998. "Democracy and Decentralisation in South Asia and West Africa," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521636476, Diciembre.
- Shah, Anwar & Thompson, Theresa, 2004. "Implementing decentralized local governance: a treacherous road with potholes, detours, and road closures," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3353, The World Bank.
- Blane Lewis, 2003. "Tax And Charge Creation By Regional Governments Under Fiscal Decentralisation: Estimates And Explanations," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(2), pages 177-192.
- Christopher Silver & Iwan Azis & Larry Schroeder, 2001. "Intergovernmental Transfers And Decentralisation In Indonesia," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 345-362.
- International Monetary Fund, 2001. "Fiscal Decentralization and Governance; A Cross-Country Analysis," IMF Working Papers 01/71, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:18097. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.