Investigating causal relationship between stock return with respect to exchange rate and FII: evidence from India
The purpose of this paper is to investigate the relationship between macroeconomic parameters like Exchange rate and foreign institutional investment with stock returns in India, in particular at National Stock Exchange. I find that both stock returns and exchange rate are integrated of order one. The Engle–Granger Cointegration test is then performed, suggesting that there is not a long-run equilibrium relationship between stock returns and exchange rates at 5% significance level. Moreover, there is no evidence suggesting that there is any causality relationship from the nominal exchange rate to the stock returns. Furthermore, FII data is found to be I(0) i.e. It doesn’t have a unit root at conventional level. It also gives positive unidirectional Granger causality results i.e. stock returns Granger cause FII. No reverse causality is seen even after inserting a structural break in 2003, as some of the researchers suggest.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Inoue, Takeshi, 2008.
"The causal relationships in mean and variance between stock returns and foreign institutional investment in India,"
IDE Discussion Papers
180, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Takeshi Inoue, 2009. "The Causal Relationships in Mean and Variance between Stock Returns and Foreign Institutional Investment in India," Margin: The Journal of Applied Economic Research, National Council of Applied Economic Research, vol. 3(4), pages 319-337, October.
- Hooi Hooi Lean & Paresh Narayan & Russell Smyth, 2011. "Exchange Rate And Stock Price Interaction In Major Asian Markets: Evidence For Individual Countries And Panels Allowing For Structural Breaks," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 56(02), pages 255-277.
- Naeem Muhammad & Abdul Rasheed, 2002. "Stock Prices and Exchange Rates: Are they Related? Evidence from South Asian Countries," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 41(4), pages 535-550.
- Ozturk, Ilhan & Kalyoncu, Huseyin, 2007.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Growth: An Empirical Investigation based on Cross-Country Comparison,"
Economia Internazionale / International Economics,
Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 60(1), pages 75-81.
- Ozturk, Ilhan & Kalyoncu, Huseyin, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and Growth: An Empiricial Investigation Based on Cross-Country Comparison," MPRA Paper 9636, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:15793. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.