Evolution of Coalition Structures under Uncertainty
In Hart and Kurz (1983), stability and formation of coalition structures has been investigated in a noncooperative framework in which the strategy of each player is the coalition he wishes to join. However, given a strategy profile, the coalition structure formed is not unequivocally determined. In order to solve this problem, they proposed two rules of coalition structure formation: the $\gamma$ and the $\delta$ models. \par In this paper we look at evolutionary games arising from the $\gamma$ model for situations in which each player can choose mixed strategies and has vague expectations about the formation rule of the coalitions in which is not involved; players determine at every instant their strategies and we study how, for every player, subjective beliefs on the set of coalition structures evolve coherently to the strategic choices. Coherency is regarded as a viability constraint for the differential inclusions describing the evolutionary game. Therefore, we investigate viability properties of the constraints and characterize velocities of pairs belief/strategies which guarantee that coherency of beliefs is always satisfied. Finally, among many coherent belief revisions (evolutions), we investigate those characterized by minimal change and provide existence results.
|Date of creation:||26 Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:||16 Apr 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrés Perea, 2009. "A Model of Minimal Probabilistic Belief Revision," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 67(2), pages 163-222, August.
- Jean-Pierre Aubin, 2003. "Regulation of the evolution of the architecture of a network by tensors operating on coalitions of actors," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 95-124, 04.
- Konishi, Hideo & Ray, Debraj, 2003.
"Coalition formation as a dynamic process,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 1-41, May.
- Giuseppe De Marco & Maria Romaniello, 2006. "Dynamics of Mixed Coalitions Under Social Cohesion Constraints," Mathematical Population Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 39-62.
- Jean-Pierre Aubin & Patrick Saint-Pierre, 2006. "Guaranteed Inertia Functions In Dynamical Games," International Game Theory Review (IGTR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 8(02), pages 185-218.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/6881 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:14725. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.