Dynamic decentralization of harvesting constraints in the management of tychastic evolution of renewable resources
This study proposes a new framework to tackle the uncertainty that prevails in the exploitation of renewable resources. It deals with the question of how to guarantee both a minimum multi-species harvest and the renewal of resources when their evolutions are uncertain. The problem is twofold: to decentralize a global constraint (on a multi-species harvest) into local constraints (on the resources of the different species) and, then, to use a “tychastic” approach necessitating only the forecasts of the lowers bounds of the resource growth rates. This study, formulated as a “tychastic” regulated system with viability constraints, departs from stochastic approaches generally used to deal with uncertain situations. It provides the time dependent harvesting rule allowing to always comply with a minimum harvest objective and resources replenishment thresholds whatever happens and a tychastic measure of risk viability in terms of minimum resources initially required. To solve this problem involving global and local constraints a new method that decentralizes the constraints has been devised. An example is presented whose numerical results are obtained thanks to a dedicated software using mathematical and algorithmic tools of viability theory. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013
Volume (Year): 10 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/business+%26+management/operations+research/journal/10287/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sophie Gourget & Claire Macher & Luc Doyen & Olivier Thébaud & M. Bertignac & Olivier Guyader, 2013. "Managing mixed fisheries for bio-economic viability," Post-Print hal-00835634, HAL.
- Baldursson, Fridrik Mar & Magnusson, Gudmundar, 1997. " Portfolio Fishing," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(3), pages 389-403, September.
- Doyen, L. & Thébaud, O. & Béné, C. & Martinet, V. & Gourguet, S. & Bertignac, M. & Fifas, S. & Blanchard, F., 2012. "A stochastic viability approach to ecosystem-based fisheries management," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(C), pages 32-42.
- Stuart J. Allen & Edmund W. Schuster, 2004. "Controlling the Risk for an Agricultural Harvest," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 6(3), pages 225-236, July.
- Edwards, Steven F. & Link, Jason S. & Rountree, Barbara P., 2004. "Portfolio management of wild fish stocks," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 317-329, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:comgts:v:10:y:2013:i:4:p:281-298. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.